Dominion 6.5x55 Mauser 160 grain loads

MD

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just found about 14 old Dominion 6.5x55 cartridges in my ammo along with 20 Imperial loads.

Were they loaded with identical powder?

Should I shoot them off when I try my new 6.5x55 barrel in my old Mauser rifle next week or would a collector consider the Dominion loads worth anything?

I'll bet they'd kill a deer quite dead even if they probably drop quite a bit between 100 and 200 yards.
 
They will probably "shoot" just fine. More than likely to different points of impact though.
These bullets, if they're all 160 grains, will require a 1 in 8 twist rate. As far as collectible, not really.
One thing they will be good for is a proper breaking in procedure for your new barrel.

If you're replacing the barrel on your rifle, work up a decent hand load for it. You will be a lot happier with the results. That old stuff was good for its day but the ammo built today is usually much better. You owe the deer you want to shoot accurate ammo that you are confident with. If you can't afford to buy more ammuition to work up a load or practise, maybe rethink your hunting methods and keep them within ranges you feel confident in. Use at least half of the ammo for practise to have an idea of how and where it shoots.

By the way, that old Dominion and Imperial brass is excellent stuff for reloading.
 
I reload Hornady 160 grain RN in my 96 Swede to the factory (Dominion) specs. It is spectacular on moose and whitetails. They are moving at about 2500 fps. Don't sound fast but that long bullet is like a javelin. It augers right through deer and knocks moose hard. I also have a stash of last production Imperial (IVI) factory 160 loads that I use on special occasions. As Bear Hunter said the Dominion and Imperial are a good source for brass.

regards, Darryl
 
Thank you gentlemen.

I guess I better read up on break-in procedures.

I have 60 rounds of Norma hard point I was going to use to sight in the rifle, then see how the Imperials shoot for hunting though I have a few handloads around I tried in another rifle that I'll bang off too.
 
Dominion brand ammo has been gone for eons. The Imperial brand name was used by CIL and later IVI.
"...loaded with identical powder?..." Unknown. Likely though. Even in the 50's and 60's, ammo makers used powders reloaders can't get.
 
Back
Top Bottom