Don't quick draw your antiques...

sportee

Regular
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
We'll it might be fine for some but I was showing a friend one of mine a couple of weeks ago and what does the idiot do...he tries the old two handed quick draw and not getting the hammer fully cocked it drops foreward and breaks off the half #### notch completely. Now this was a gun that was so minty it still had case coloring that looked like the day it came out of the factory.

Now I thought this guy knew what he was doing around these things. I bet he's the kind of guy that spins the cylinder while it's out and then whips it shut.

Needless to say...this guy won't be allowed back in my house again!

Just remember to make sure a person has a brain in their head and knows not to do this kind of crap before you let them touch your pride and joy.
 
that sucks...
some people have no clue...even if they have their own antiques...never turn yer back!
An ex friend of mine broke the ejector housing off a CC because he was to stupid to drop the loading lever and rotate the rod...instead he reefed on it til he pulled it off.He ain't welcome any more!
and had it happen to a minor degree with an unfired vintage shotgun...
buddy goes to shoulder it and whaps the bead off on the edge of the safe...
first mark on it...still pisses me off!
Learned my lesson.
 
And I would expect that you WILL make him pay for it, what ever the cost. If he was a man he would have stepped up and offered that right away. That is the ONLY way he could ever redeem himself.
 
Sorry for your loss. Very few get to fondle my pride and joys, because of similar experiences.
 
That's lousy. You want to share your joy with others, but its dangerous when other people don't appreciate the care you would take in handling them.
 
I have a friend who's an all around nice guy, excellent woodsman and hunter but all that said after watching him handle his own firearms from time to time I would not let him handle a two by four that I own.
 
Well this is the second 'showing off my antique and it got broke' thread in the past while. No good can come of letting someone grub over your hard earned toys! Keep em in the safe unitl 'YOU' want to handle them. At the very least save show and tell until you have seen them handle thier own firearms.

Sorry about the broken hammer hope you can get a replacement easily.
 
Might need to have alook at how youy pick your friends. Only a freaking dummy would slap fire an old antique revolver. It would take a dummy and an ####### to do it to someone else's antique revolver.

Too bad, hope you can get her fixed without too much hassle.
 
That sucks! The only person who has fired my antiques is an RPAL friend and the ejector knob broke off the first time he used it. I don't blame him as he didn't do anything stupid, it was just too old and stressed from poping out dirty blackpowder brass for 115 years. I replaced it and now have extras, almost glad it happened. Made me realize how fragile these old guns can be though.
 
I remember an old saying, but I forget where it's from. It goes something along the lines of "Whatever can break will break... it's just a matter of time". This is true for cars, appliances, airplanes, etc and... firearms.

That said, if you're going to use your antiques at all, be prepared for things breaking on them. Not long ago, I took one of my newly acquired antique six shooters apart for a throughout cleaning (which it needed). Actually, it was a small pocket 5-shot revolver made from cast iron (so actually a five-shooter, not six). Upon reassembly, the hammer stop notch that protrudes into the cylinder when the gun is cocked disintegrated in half, so that now there's only half of it left (and therefore it allows for greater cylinder play). I didn't even put any pressure or force on it, it simply fell apart under my finger nail during reassembly. It is my belief that the notch was actually previously fixed by someone with solder, probably after they broke it... and my fingernail simply scratched it off accidentally. Another thing that went was a tiny little sear spring that snapped in two (or was already snapped, but fell out upon disassembly). Anyway, some creative thinking got the gun working again, but these "surprises" are bound to happen with 120+ year old guns, especially the tiny cast iron ones. To be perfectly honest, most of these guns were never designed for 120+ years of duty, so be glad they are still working at all, lol. I just wish they still made stuff that could exceed the manufacturer's warranty by 100+ years today. :rolleyes:

Now... having said that, I do admit that morons handling your antiques (or any other guns, for that matter) are going to speed up the breaking process 10-fold.

;)
 
Back
Top Bottom