Double barrel Puzzle

Trooper308

New member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Location
Ontario
So I aquired this 12 gauge double barrel side by side and need help Identifying a piece that seems to be missing, it is a piece that goes into the foregrip and pushes on the extractor rod when the action is open:
UVS0mCi.jpg

BSSyUdc.jpg
tcR4ift.jpg

S66W34M.jpg

I've never tinkered with a double barrel and I can't even begin to immagine what the piece looks like to make one, please forgive my terminology as I am just guessing what these parts are called, the gun is a belgium made ELG 12-70, I believe it was pre 1930 but was proven for smokeless powder sometime after 1930
 
I don't know what it is, but it might help to also include photos of the action on the shotgun - specifically the front portion of the water table where the part would engage the receiver along with the hinge. It obviously engages with it somehow as it must use it to operate the extractor, so there might be a clue there. Embarrassingly I know I used to know how it worked, but have since forgotten. Really anything that drives the rod forward will work, but your specific design I'm lost on.

Partially unrelated, but I recently came across some sort of linkage that ties the hammer to the ejector so that only a fired case is ejected; I didn't get a chance to see the actual linkage, just the mechanism below the barrel. It was quite a neat idea. Edit - the unrelated duel ejector system ( http://www.hallowellco.com/ejectors_and_extractors.htm )
 
Last edited:
The piece you are needing should be attached to the knuckle of the action. It won't be an exact match, but I'll try to take some pics of my W&C Scott later this weekend to give you an idea of what you should be looking for.
 
The piece you are needing should be attached to the knuckle of the action. It won't be an exact match, but I'll try to take some pics of my W&C Scott later this weekend to give you an idea of what you should be looking for.
Are you talking about this? Cause the extractor is attatched to the barrel that little rod I'm pointing to with the screwdriver in the first picture needs to get pushed forward and the empty slot that is pictured sits up against that rod and looks like something needs to go in there
ap4ur4c.jpg
 
The part that is missing appears to be the extractor actuator. When the foreend drops down, it causes the actuator to push against the extractor rod, thus pushing the fired cases out of the chambers.
 
On this gun the part was not attached to the action.
It was attached to the forend iron and pivoted when the gun was opened, and pushed the extractor.
That is why the slots are in the forend iron.
That is probably why it is missing........ It came/was taken out and got lost.
Unusual but not unheard of system, I have a Spanish double that has a similar setup.
 
What make or model of shotgun is this? If fairly common, this might give a better idea where to source the part, if available. Also, if a parts diagram or exploded view of the gun is available, to get some idea of what the actuator on your gun looked like. Might help if you need to fabricate a new part. The little hole on the right side of the slot is likely where the actuator was pinned into the fore end iron.
 
By the way, this type of actuator is not unusual, at all. IGA/Stoeger double-barrelled shotguns feature this same system. If you can get your hands on one of these guns for study, this too might offer some insite into how to fabricate a new part.
 
some cowboy shooter will have your part in his parts box. Rules disallow use of ejectors on double guns so every one (hundreds) in use has that mechanism removed.

It's not an ejector it's an extractor, it just pushes the shell out half an inch so it can be grabbed with your fingers and removed, as of now the only way to clear the chamber is with a cleaning rod down the muzzle
 
Nothing else on it that would tell me make just a bunch of symbals and says choke 184
Choke means that it has choked barrels
18.4 is bore diameter in mm.
Many Belgian guns were imported by retailers, some put their own name on them, some not.
Most were inexpensive "hardware store" guns, some better. Belgian guns do not have a great reputation generally, but there are very good ones.
Take clear photos of the barrel flats (bottom at breech) and the action flats, may be some clues.
Look under the top lever. There was 3 company co-op that used a round symbol with SPI in it.
If it has PV on the barrels that means smokeless proof (in its day).
 
Any name / full pic might be nice to work with. I have several old shotguns but I'm not about going
to remove every fore-end, but would if I had more info. and could narrow the candidates down. ---John
 
Back
Top Bottom