Double Flint Shotgun

tiriaq

Super Moderator
Moderating Team
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
Over at muzzleloadingforum.com, there is a thread inquiring about kits for flint double shotguns.
A chap there has posted photos of his flint double which started life as a Pietta percussion double.
Conversion involves new breechplugs, recessed left and right to allow the locks to seat properly, and a pair of L&R locks. The new breeches are longer, the barrels are set foreward a bit.
Doesn't look bad at all.
There are other photos of new double flints, well worth viewing.
Another ml double project is one by RH McCrory at homegunsmithing.com. O/U percussion gun, made using a pair of modified breechloading barrels. Very tidy conversion.
 
Thanks for the links, I have been getting curious about a double barrel flintlock, I figure 16 gauge x conical twist 50 cal would be about the perfect one gun hunting arsenal.
 
The Pietta double is the one used in the conversion. The Pedersoli made guns do not have readily removable breechplugs; they seem to be more available here. The Piettas were marketed in the US by Navy Arms.
If you look at the McCrory gun (this is the chap who wrote a number of ml books), you can see how a gun could be made starting with two separate barrels. I have a Snider barrel, which has had a slice cut off the breech, so it is worthless for rebarrelling a Snider, and some single breechloading shotgun barrels. These could be used to make a nice o/u deer gun, with the rifle on top. Choice of a Minie ball or buckshot.
 
If you are using or making recessed breaches, it is important to use frizzens with a long arm from the pan cover to the pivot point. If that arm is too short the frizzen will hang up on the corner where the recess meets the barrel. Long arms allow the frizzen to rise up more in relation to pivoting forward.

I would also put in a plug for recessed breaches because they allow you to make the shotgun more narrow side to side at the breach

cheers mooncoon
 
Yes, the new plugs for the conversion of the Pietta are recessed. I believe that the powder chamber would have to be offset. The touch hole liner is very close to the back end of the plug. The recesses are long enough that the L&R locks work without fouling the breech.
 
Has anyone had an opportunity to examine one of these guns?
Indian guns have received very mixed reviews. Before I would even consider one of these, I would want to have a really close look at one.
 
You will find that most of the 'negative' reviews come from people who are pretty obviously as racist and bigoted as they come. If an American produced the same gun with walnut stocks and the same hand forged locks for 2x the price then the market would beat a path to thier door.

You would not be getting a 'fine'/ best quality gun but for 700 bucks you can do alot of filing, sanding finishing yourself. The most common complaint is heavy trigger pulls.

There seems to be some morbid fear that because brown people touched the gun that it will come apart in your hands. Yep they are made with DOM tubing so are 1000s of other guns. I suspect the folks that make them are pretty interested in the cash cow/source of income that MSVT orders represents and hence have incentive to produce as good a gun as they can for the money.

I have been on the verge of ordering one for some time now, tearing it down slimming it abit, browning the barrels and generally satisfying curiosity. If I thought I could accomplish installing a rifled liner on one side I'd have already put in an order!

On Gun broker right now there is a 'coach gun' version that has been gone over, it looks fantastic.
 
Hey @Musket Fire omg I want one what do you think of it? Imagine browning the barrels wow.... Look out bugs bunny and Daffy duck! I wonder if I could order one? You know what time period it might have been used ? I bet 1776 era ? I also sent them an e-mail to see if will ship to Canada... I 'LL let you know cheers my friend
 
Hey @Musket Fire omg I want one what do you think of it? Imagine browning the barrels wow.... Look out bugs bunny and Daffy duck! I wonder if I could order one? You know what time period it might have been used ? I bet 1776 era ? I also sent them an e-mail to see if will ship to Canada... I 'LL let you know cheers my friend

Oh yeah he'll ship to Canada, "as the previous gentleman said;)" and oh yes she would look brilliant with browned barrels and furniture

I wish it had queen Anne locks "rounded like a bess" and brass furniture.

But she is definitely a thing of beauty with many many possibilities, I would be tempted to buy a extra set of frizzens with it if possible.


I really really want one aswell!!

Oh my...... imagine if we armed our whole section with those---present-----fire---- forward march present and fire "again" damned foe wouldent know what hit em!!
 
I totally agree with vent liners, I am strongly considering ordering one, just waiting for his confirmation of shipping to this great land... I like the brass fixture idea MusketFire... and yes definitely browning the narrels a must with me as you know...lol
 
I totally agree with vent liners, I am strongly considering ordering one, just waiting for his confirmation of shipping to this great land... I like the brass fixture idea MusketFire... and yes definitely browning the narrels a must with me as you know...lol

If you do get one, a detailed report and photospread would be great. Lock function is critical.
It may be that one of these could be an worthwhile "kit".
 
Those look interesting and much more affordable than custom made which is about the only other option.

A person would have to get one of these: ht tp://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/PDBF.SHTML to go with it!
 
I bought an Indian made Short Land Pattern a while back. The general fit and finish was on the money, but the lock was unserviceable. The geometry is wrong and once the hammer was hardened it would throw a spark but unfortunately not into the pan. Also, the #### uses the tumbler bridle as a stop (won't last long) and about a half dozen other issues (springs etc) so I gave up. I found a rebuilt Japanese lock that works very well. That said, I know others who had no issues with the Indian made products.
 
Back
Top Bottom