Downloading 50-140 Sharps to 50-70?

BDL931

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Location
Oromocto,N.B.
A little while ago, I finally tracked down my deceased fathers replica 1874 Farmingdale Shilho sharps in 50-140. I've successfully reloaded for it and now would like to attempt at the very least a group at 200m. Biggest hurdle is with a 135 gr of 2f, the rifles weight, (17 lbs), and recoil makes well aimed shots and proper follow through impossible. So Ive been thinking:

Is it possible to load a reduced charge of 70grs 2f and a sutiable filler to ensure no air gap within the 50-140 casing, still maintaining all the same overall length as a full load cartridge?

It would look something like this: Bertram 50-140 case, WLRM primer, 70gr 2f GOEX (compressed), 2 milk carton wads( .060"), filler material ( weight and type TBD, compressed), 515 gr Lyman cast Bullet (# 2 alloy), COAL 3.750".

Positive discussion will be appreciated
 
you could try corn meal as a filler. Probably important to compress the corn meal as well as the powder. It is a common filler in cap and ball revolvers

cheers mooncoon
 
I used cornmeal for a filler until I had case separations,

I found out that the corn meal compressed to a solid lump and almost glued itself to the interior of the cartridge case walls.

When the lump of corn meal was propelled forward with the projectile ,it sometimes separated the case.

When I switched to Cream of Wheat I have fired several hundred rounds with no more separations.

I use about 1/16 inch compression. This has worked for me for many years. Cheers
 
A little while ago, I finally tracked down my deceased fathers replica 1874 Farmingdale Shilho sharps in 50-140. I've successfully reloaded for it and now would like to attempt at the very least a group at 200m. Biggest hurdle is with a 135 gr of 2f, the rifles weight, (17 lbs), and recoil makes well aimed shots and proper follow through impossible. So Ive been thinking:

Is it possible to load a reduced charge of 70grs 2f and a sutiable filler to ensure no air gap within the 50-140 casing, still maintaining all the same overall length as a full load cartridge?

It would look something like this: Bertram 50-140 case, WLRM primer, 70gr 2f GOEX (compressed), 2 milk carton wads( .060"), filler material ( weight and type TBD, compressed), 515 gr Lyman cast Bullet (# 2 alloy), COAL 3.750".

Positive discussion will be appreciated
I have used reduced loads in 45-120 using felt wad and card wads. It is much easier with AA5744 smokeless which requires no fillers.
 
Back
Top Bottom