Driving an antique across the border

piper394

Regular
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Location
manitoba
Long story short, I have a friend who lives very close to the U.S. Canada border who I occasionally have stuff shipped to. You know, from those guys who only ship to the U.S.
I'm dealing on an antique revolver , and was wondering if anyone has driven one across and what the process was like.
thanks in advance for any advise.
 
Not difficult, just declare it at the border, be prepared for secondary inspection, don't bring it into the building unless directed to, be prepared to provide proof it's an antique.Be prepared to deal with folks who have very little knowledge about antique status or guns in general. That said customs is usually more interested in collecting the taxes than looking at it.
 
I've done it several times. Just like apu said. Have your credit card dusted off, ready to go to pay that HST/GST/PST depending upon where you live. To make the tax paying go smoother, it is good to have a receipt of some description.
 
One other suggestion.
If it is a handgun that you are bringing back have a container with a lock on it.
I went through an insane exercise at the Thousand Islands Bridge after buying a revolver at the Gettysburg Civil War show years ago.
I ended running around to the duty free shop looking for a lock.
Two and a half hours later I was on my way.

David

I have only purchased two antique pistols from the U.S.
I know what I would do differently if I had to do this again.
-Have your historical documentation indicating it is an antique.
-Have a photocopy of the definition of what an antique firearm is from CFC.

This is the Model 1860 Colt Army that caused the debate at the border.
Sometimes you get an uninformed customs officer....which was my case.

288kbsColtArmyHolstersabreDSC01036.jpg


187kbsCroppedResizedNewColtArmybarr.jpg


In 1990 I bought this '51 Colt Navy from a dealer (David Condon) in the U.S and it came through the post with no problems ...albeit in 1990.

233kbs1851ColtNavyfullleftsideoutsi.jpg


1851ColtNavyoutsidesecondsession002.jpg


What does Joe Salter do when he ships antiques to Canada?
 
Last edited:
Straw sales

I was under the impression that US dealers were forbidden to make 'straw sales' under the 1968 GCA. Does this not apply to individuals as well?

The BATF is known to prowl US gun shows looking for opportunities of entrapment of unsuspecting dealers and individuals.

For example, one of the more common ploys is having watched a legal sale, an agent will offer the purchaser a price he cannot refuse to circumvent the waiting period, etc. If the guy goes for the bait, he is busted for not having a dealer's permit.

I know the question was asked about 'antiques', but as 'apu' said, don't count on any LEO on either side of the border knowing or giving a damn about 'antiques' status of a firearm.
 
It's got nothing to do with straw sales. I'm talking about legitimate sale of an antique and picking it up in the U.S. And only because so many vendors won't ship internationally. I can have it shipped to within an hour of home and pick it up at my leisure.
 
Have driven across the border with antique handguns with the RCMP letter and without the letter (instead of the RCMP letter I provided a typed description of the antique, a copy of the antique regulations and the classification system that was posted on the gunnutz website).

It was a more pleasant experience with the RCMP letter - as the CBSA folks generally don't know anything about antique status of firearms. Without the letter it turned into a several hour wait in customs.

The ATF doesn't regulate antique firearms - so I wouldn't worry about a "sting" - but you have to make sure that the gun is indeed an antique by US standards (which are looser than the Canadian regulations). Having said that - I received "incorrect" information from the ATF when I called them and asked for advice (At the time I was a permanent US resident).

Also - some states, such as New Jersey do regulate antiques, so you could run afoul of state legislation if you were a non-resident purchasing an antique.
 
I have spoken directly with BATF about antique firearms and was told that they do not regulate them. They can be sent to whoever you jolly well please.
 
I have spoken directly with BATF about antique firearms and was told that they do not regulate them. They can be sent to whoever you jolly well please.

They've never spoken to me about driving antiques into the U.S. (no matter how many times I telephoned) .....:redface:

Always got kinda....:yingyang:..evasive ?....:(
 
Recently, they have required that you write a letter. They won't talk directly to a fellow anymore. This is better in the long run, as you will have it in writing.
 
I have the same problem with trying to buy parts for old Winchesters from guys on Gunbroker who live in the U.S.. Many have no problems shipping to a U.S. mailing address but the hoops they have to jump through to legally export gun parts(even 100 year old parts) are ridiculous. I have enquired with the Canadian Border Service and found them very helpful. They advised to just declare it and you should have no problems as long as it isn't a firearm or restricted weapon. They really need to revisit their export regs in the U.S.
 
I got a (B)ATF reply !....:dancingbanana:

Thanks for that Cyclone.

Perchance, is that reply on letterhead?. If so, I'd be more than happy to open up and fit the barrel channel of a certain special LE's forestock for you ..... in return for a hardcopy, .... next we meet. ;):evil:

In a few short years, I intend to cross the border with antiques, on the way to Arizona/New Mexico wintering grounds.
 
Cyclone, if you can somehow scan the entire page, including letterhead, and post it in photobucket or something similar, so that we can all link to it and print it out, I would be very grateful.
 
Thanks for that Cyclone.

Perchance, is that reply on letterhead?. If so, I'd be more than happy to open up and fit the barrel channel of a certain special LE's forestock for you ..... in return for a hardcopy, .... next we meet. ;):evil:

In a few short years, I intend to cross the border with antiques, on the way to Arizona/New Mexico wintering grounds.

Cyclone, if you can somehow scan the entire page, including letterhead, and post it in photobucket or something similar, so that we can all link to it and print it out, I would be very grateful.

I'll let you all in on a not-so-hidden secret :yingyang: : I love my fellow CGN'ers, and would do as much as I can for 'em !...:cheers:

Unfortunately :redface: , the letter I posted above came through e-mail :( - I've sent for a formal letter, though, and will definitely get that ready for you all as soon as it arrives ? ....:canadaFlag:
 
Back
Top Bottom