Dry Fire Question

Eggbert

CGN Regular
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Anola
Is it ok to insert a spent .22LR shell in the chamber for dry firing while making a trigger adjustment for pull weight? I know snap caps are made for that purpose. I've read several warnings that dry firing with an empty chamber can damage a firearm.
 
It would probaly work just fine but I would recommend using snap caps. They aren't tht expensive and they are of a color that you can differentiate from live rounds.
 
That's why I do, but the odd time I've found one that is difficult to remove and I have to use a cleaning rod down the barrel to push it out.
 
Nothing wrong with using a spent casing. It prevents the firing pin from contacting the edge of the chamber. With some modern firearms you don't need to worry about this as the design does not allow it, but it is a problem with many firearms.
 
Using a fired case in rimfire is the easy way to run. Most of my guns will 'c-ock' on lifting the bolt handle and is reset-ready to fire. I have used the Tipton 'Red' snapcaps but I once had the rim tear off completely, leaving the remainder in the chamber. I only noticed when the 'next round' would not load. Luckily it was another snapcap - woe if it were Live.
I currently use the Pachmayer Orange plastic dummies - they are 'soft' rather than the brittle Tipton caps. And either brand is only good for a dozen or so shots b4 they fall apart. And some of my rifles will not cycle with the Drywall anchors that I have found at H-D - have to stick them in manually.
 
Back
Top Bottom