Dry firing an antique SAA

My antiques don't get dry fired without a snap cap, and then only to test them. You can make a snap cap out of a fired cartridge - remove the primer, fill the primer hole with silicone and let it cure, and then it's a snap cap.

Dry firing is more harmful to some designs than others, but even if it is not directly causing damage it still causes additional wear on the action. I avoid unnecessary dry firing simply because i want to preserve the antique for as long as possible and don't want to cause add'l wear just playing with it for no good reason.

It's an antique - they aren't making any more of them. If you want to dry fire a lot then buy a modern saa and dry fire it instead of your antique. It will cost you a lot less that way.
 
Dry firing can be a very bad idea for any firearm. When in doubt check the owner's manual.
With an antique firearm look at it this way: Where is my cheap/plentiful stash of spare firing pins/Colt hammers, and my personal antique gunsmith eagerly awaiting my broken gun?

take care of your own goodies and they just might take care of you....;)
 
If you want to dry fire a lot then buy a modern saa and dry fire it instead of your antique. It will cost you a lot less that way.
Solid advice. I thoroughly agree. You can get a well-used modern SAA for relatively cheap, dry fire the dickens out of it, and sell it when you are done for nigh unto the price you bought it for.
 
I decided after talking to rustywood that I would shoot the crap out of it this summer and fall then send it in during the winter for a tuning and some nice ebony grips. He said go ahead and shoot it and have fun. I am reluctant to get a restricted handgun due to the fact that I enjoy shooting outdoors and wouldnt not be interested in paying a range membership just to own a gun. I wish the whole antique thing was more obvious, but I suppose the government doesnt want everyone nowing how to userp their restricted handgun laws.
 
My antiques don't get dry fired without a snap cap, and then only to test them. You can make a snap cap out of a fired cartridge - remove the primer, fill the primer hole with silicone and let it cure, and then it's a snap cap.

Dry firing is more harmful to some designs than others, but even if it is not directly causing damage it still causes additional wear on the action. I avoid unnecessary dry firing simply because i want to preserve the antique for as long as possible and don't want to cause add'l wear just playing with it for no good reason.

It's an antique - they aren't making any more of them. If you want to dry fire a lot then buy a modern saa and dry fire it instead of your antique. It will cost you a lot less that way.

Agreed 100%. Hell I rarely even "cycle" my antique guns unless they are getting fired or cleaned ect.

No sense in using them when your not really using them, just wears out the springs and causes errosion to the moving parts.

My antique guns just sit bathing in fluid film 95% of the time.
 
When storing a hammerless shotgun which way is best? I played on line a bit and it seems there is varying opinion on this. I was going dry fire on a spent cartridge and store it that way. Some are of the opinion that having the hammers cocked is no problem. What is the consensus?
 
Back
Top Bottom