DUD Remingtons

Demonical

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Pictures say a 1000 words. Went to the range today with my Ruger No.1 .303Brit and had these failures. I cocked and re-struck the primers on these a couple times and got nothin'!! :mad:


LeverGuns200.jpg


LeverGuns201.jpg
 
thats rough, i had no luck with remington's 22lr target stuff, couple in each box of 50 were duds which is bad even for rimfire, but for duds in a box of center fire is no excuse.
 
This is interesting. I have a friend with a recently-purchased No. 1 in .270 Win that does the exact same thing with a variety of factory ammo.

Perhaps its not the ammo.
 
It's not just this but many of Remington's brands of Ammo have really fallen off in the QC department as of the last couple of year's. I would choose for my hunting trip's to either get high end Federal or if you can find Hornady in your calibere. But still the best to use is the 1's you make your self. As nobaody want's the trophy of a life time to be lost on the fact of your ammo let you down.
 
Was there any sign that the bullet was engraving the rifling? That can soften a blow and cause a misfire.
Could you explain how jamming the bullet into the rifling, which would mean that the cartridge is firmly held in the chamber, would result in softening the blow of the firing pin?
 
Could you explain how jamming the bullet into the rifling, which would mean that the cartridge is firmly held in the chamber, would result in softening the blow of the firing pin?

Maybe that the bullet being softer than the steel barrel will slide into the rifling as the firing pin pushes the entire cartridge? That would point to a factory load with too long an OAL or a throat with not enough freebore in the chamber. So the rim isn't seated firmly and the pin pushes the round instead of hitting it. Don't know, just trying to theorize the softening the blow idea.

I'm going with the shallow looking primer dents mentioned by ben hunchak. Try another brand of ammo and if still getting misfires the pin may need an adjustment.
 
Poor deal. I would contact Remington as suggested. Maybe you get a coupon, maybe you won't.
^^^^^^

The one on the right doesn't look too bad. Do you know anyone with a Lee Enfield you can use? If they don't light off in a LE there is definitely something wrong with the primers...

Try them in another rifle.

A person could try it in a LE or another rifle, but the fact remains that it's modern production cartridges in a modern production rifle. This type of problem shouldn't exist. At least not on the scale that it has. I run the standard 180gr SP Winchester loads through all of my LEs, and I've had one FTF. I recocked, and it fired. For the amount of rounds I've put through that particular rifle, I can live with that failure rate.

This kind of makes me worry about the box of Remington 303 Core-Lokts I have sitting in my ammo cabinet.

I am very interested to read how this develops.
 
Back
Top Bottom