Dumb Question Of The Day...

CTS

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Location
Beausejour, MB
The ammo the M14 shoots is the 7.62X51 correct? Is that ammo interchangeable with factory .308 from the store?

For some reason from reading other threads that is the impression that I get.
 
Shoots 308 no problem. I use Federal 150's and they give much better accuracy than 7.62x51 milsurp. I follow the advice that 180 grain bullets put too much strain on the gun's gas system.
 
Playing devils advocate:
Depends on which M14. The Norincos are chambered for .308 Winchester...not 7.62x51mm NATO. They should not be interchanged.

Being a real human with a brain:
Totally interchangeable as NATO isn't that much hotter. Go nutz (and you are nutz if you plan on shooting factory ammo $$$)

;)
 
Lol...I was thinking of shooting factory ammo. Is it possiable to get surplus 7.62x51?

Obviously won't be shooting that much if I have to use factory.

And yes its a Norc M14.
 
Sometime you run across some surplus. I wouldn't worry about exacting specifications of 7.62 nato vs 308. These are battle rifles with generous tolerances, not precision target rifles. Excessive headspace might translate into shorter life for the brass if you reload, but highly unlikely a safety concern for shooting factory 7.62 or 308. You used to be able to get 308 for $13.99 a box and some of it was 180 grain, so that's why I mentioned it.
 
Epps had some 7.62x51 awhile ago. i found a site explaining the slight difference in casing of nato and civilian ammo forgot what itwas or where it is now,
 
Being a real human with a brain:
Totally interchangeable as NATO isn't that much hotter. Go nutz (and you are nutz if you plan on shooting factory ammo $$$)

;)

Well, here's the thing..:yingyang:..there's several Milsup rifles chambered for 7.62x51mm NATO that cannot take the higher-pressure, heavier-grain .308 commercial ammo. :(

"Hotter" is a nice term :), but "chamber pressure" is a crucial one! :eek:
 
Military ammo tends to be loaded hotter than commercial ammo, so shooting mislurp in a commercial rifle <in theory> is asking for trouble because of overpressure. In practice, modern firearms are so massively overbuilt that even the hottest loaded military cartridge remains WELL within the safety margins.

I have never heard of even ONE confirmed case of mixing 7.62x51 with 308 win, or 5.56x45 with 223 rem EVER causing damage to a firearm.
 
Back
Top Bottom