Duplexing with Trail Boss

Sharps '63

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Since it's so bulky, I thought that perhaps TB might be a good powder to duplex 45-70/50-70 loads.

Say, perhaps 5 grs and a similar reduction in BP .... ?
 
Because when you have a little amount of smokeless powder sit on the primer, when it burn, this powder throw out the barrel all black powder residue and your barrel stay very clean.

To achieve this, I use SR4759 powder.

But, it's prohibited to use duplex load in black powder competitions.
 
duplexing

Like Weimajack says - duplex loads burn very clean. Modern BP isn't the same stuff as the historic Curtis & Harvey powder. Don't want to do it? - don't.

I have no quarrel with BPCR Silhouette rules disallowing it, but I'd rather have a cleaner burning load for my purposes and not have to huff and puff between rds with a blow tube.

I'm not unhappy with using SR4759 and other powders to duplex. As for Trail Boss, I was reminded that it doesn't like compression,so that rules it out for duplexing.
 
I've only used 4759 and RL-7 for duplexing and always using the 10% rule, works very good, it depends on what you want.
 
duplexing BPCRs

Zuke

Why duplex?
I took my Shiloh 50-70 carbine to the range yesterday after altering the front sight. I fired 8 smokeless rds to re-zero and then fired groups at 50 and 100 yds with 22 duplex loads consisting of - 5 grs SR4759 and 60 grs Goex FFg. No cleaning or blow-tubing between 5 shot strings.

I fired my last two rds at the 24" 200 yd gong from a sitting position and hit it.

The bore appeared to be as clean at the end as it was after the first round. Cleaning the rifle at home, it required 6 wet patches, a couple of dry ones and a light oiling. Took longer to clean the brass.

That's why .....
 
Sharps: Do you feel an increase in recoil because of the more complete powder burn? It takes recoil to a much higher level in my 50/90.
 
Zuke

Why duplex?
I took my Shiloh 50-70 carbine to the range yesterday after altering the front sight. I fired 8 smokeless rds to re-zero and then fired groups at 50 and 100 yds with 22 duplex loads consisting of - 5 grs SR4759 and 60 grs Goex FFg. No cleaning or blow-tubing between 5 shot strings.

I fired my last two rds at the 24" 200 yd gong from a sitting position and hit it.

The bore appeared to be as clean at the end as it was after the first round. Cleaning the rifle at home, it required 6 wet patches, a couple of dry ones and a light oiling. Took longer to clean the brass.

That's why .....

I tried black a couple time's but it's not for me.
I like to use 16 grain's of Trailboss under anything from 300 to 450 grain's,paper patched.
But it work's for you,so keep using it.
 
Some of us feel that accuracy is best in the big old cases when they are full of real Black Powder, or they compete, and some feel that duplex loading is best, although I never found better accuracy then pure black. I have tried the 10% rule with 3fg and the other 90% 1 1/2FG or 1 or 2fg, it's just alot more work reloading.
 
I wouldn't use trail boss for a duplex load. It is so bulky, you would be severely reducing
the amount of black powder you can get into the case. OK I guess if your looking for a really light load.
 
Wouldn't much slower powder work better for duplex loads than Trail Boss?

I tried duplex with Varget and 3031 in 38-55 with very nice results but I'm still wondering if 3-5Gr of very slow powder wouldn't be better since BP is slow burning as well.
 
Duplexing 50-70

My 50-70 carbine is the only one I've tried with a duplex load. I've yet to try it in my 50-70 rifle as I've been happy with using either 5744 or 100% BP in it.

But - I have to blow tube between rds and clean after 5 rd strings to maintain accuracy with the Military Rifle. The 30" barrel might have something to do with that, even tho' I'm using SPG lube.

I can't comment on a difference in recoil with the carbine as it is a kicker with ANY load compared to the Military Rifle. Suffice it to say that after 30 rds from the carbine, I was still not flinching, if hitting the 200 yd gong from a sitting position is any indicator.

That's further than I would shoot a 50-70 at game, as I regard the cartridge as a 100 yd proposition max with barrel sights. Unless, of course, I was shooting at a buffalo ...... ;>)
 
From what I've heard you should stick to slower powders for duplexing. I've done a tiny bit of duplexing in my lever guns using Reloder7, but I generally shoot BP in it's pure, natural state :D

Chris.
 
Chris

Gee, and here I thought that duplexing loading BPCR rounds was labour intensive!
I couldn't imagine doing it for my CAS lever guns. 'Sides, they seem to maintain function, accuracy and liability throughout a match with 100% BP. The proviso being a bullet that carries enough BP lube to keep fouling soft.
 
Back
Top Bottom