Dutch Service M1873 ? (Pics added)

4b1t

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I am presently at work and the revolver is not in front of me, but I thought I would put out some feelers to see if there is any info on these.

I "think" I have a Dutch Service M1873 in 9.4 mm or a Belgian civilian copy. It is a Chamelot-Delvigne type design. It is in rough shape and I will post pics soonest.

It is presently registered as restricted, but I assume it can be deregistered as an antique.

My intent is to sell it, either as is or deregistered, as I have had it in the safe for 30 years, but I have no idea of the market value, given the lack of comparable examples.

Until pics are up, does anyone know anything about these beasts ?
 
Last edited:
I do know that - unless the date is somehow marked on the revolver :wave: - finding out serial number information on Dutch revolvers can be an absolute pain.....b:
 
Yes, absolutely agree, I don't recall a date thus my belief it may be a civilian Belgian, vice service revolver. I'll take a magnifying glass to it and post pics/details.
 
IIRC the brass for them is easily made with 30-30 win shells.
I saw one for sale on the EE quite some time ago but missed it. Pity they are supposed to be a tank.
I think the one I saw was at 600-700 in good shape
 
Last edited:
Got it out of the safe and took a closer look, definitely 9.4mm, octagon barrel, double action.

Rough finish and grips appear to be some sort of horn ?

Chambers are nice and shiny and rifling is worn but not heavily pitted, just frosty.

4 digit serial number (matching) on underside of barrel and frame, trigger, hammer, sideplate and ejector rod housing.

No other visible markings/proofs, but they may be hidden/worn, or I am not looking in the right places.

dscf1898u.jpg


dscf1903h.jpg
 
.30-30 is a bit loose in a 9.4 Dutch chamber, and walls are very thick when it is shortened. Try .41 Magnum cases, fit might be better.
 
9.4 dutch east indies shell can be made from shortened 41 mag brass necked down to take a .381 bullet. You need to slug the bore in that I think the bore can vary between .381 and .385"

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom