Easiest to find obsolete handgun ammunition?

detonator

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'd like to purchase an antique revolver that fires an obsolete caliber cartridge. What is the easiest obsolete ammunition to find here in Canada in the .41 to .50 range, and where do you buy it?
 
44 Russian/Special is pretty easy to obtain.
I've cut down some from 44 magnum for mine in a pinch.
I've heard of folks fire-forming 38 special up to 41 LC. Seems a tad spooky though.
Not sure but I think 45 LC can be trimmed back to Schofield or Webley cal length.
But a lighter grainage 44 magnum bullet is pretty easy to find to feed a Russian or Special.
41 LC you are probably poring your own bullets.
 
I believe that the OP is asking about commercial ammo, not roll-your-own's. In that case I believe that the only thing that is sort-of available would be 8mm lebel for the French 1892 revolver's. IIRC Fiocchi still makes it, but it's not particularly easy to find.
 
455 Webley is not particularly obsolete but it is commercially available and is not on the no go list for antiques

cheers mooncoon

Yes, I guess I should not have used the word "obsolete". I am indeed interested in available ammunition for antique revolvers, obsolete or not, that is not on the no-go list.The 455 Webley sounds like a great option mooncoon. Do you know where in Canada one can purchase it?
 
Yes, I guess I should not have used the word "obsolete". I am indeed interested in available ammunition for antique revolvers, obsolete or not, that is not on the no-go list.The 455 Webley sounds like a great option mooncoon. Do you know where in Canada one can purchase it?

Budget shooter supply. Or I should say, did have it. drop them a line.
 
If you wanted something smaller than .41, .38S&W is an option. Woefully weak, hard to find, and expensive... There's a number of different revolvers floating around chambered for it though.
 
If you wanted something smaller than .41, .38S&W is an option. Woefully weak, hard to find, and expensive... There's a number of different revolvers floating around chambered for it though.

.38 S&W is on the no-go list for antique firearms though from what I can see.
 
.38sp. .44sp.

Not sure if there is commercially available .38sp, in appropriate loads, but I hear of .44sp, cowboy loads, being available. I buy both of those calibers from The Bullet Barn... They're setting me up with some .41lc as well...
 
Yes, I guess I should not have used the word "obsolete". I am indeed interested in available ammunition for antique revolvers, obsolete or not, that is not on the no-go list.The 455 Webley sounds like a great option mooncoon. Do you know where in Canada one can purchase it?

If it does not need to be an obsolete round then .38spl is the easiest and cheapest, but the guns themselves aren't cheap.
 
If you're going to be shooting antiques it would be worth your while to start reloading.

factory .455 webley ammo will run about $50 per box of 50, plus shipping. Availability is spotty and not guaranteed. I reload it for $5 per box of 50.
 
If you're going to be shooting antiques it would be worth your while to start reloading.

factory .455 webley ammo will run about $50 per box of 50, plus shipping. Availability is spotty and not guaranteed. I reload it for $5 per box of 50.

I will echo Jethunter but add that for me at least, it is extremely important to use the proper hollow based slugs with the long tapered nose. The smaller round nosed slugs for 45 colt and 45 auto can be shot but were not very accurate. Fiocchi makes shells in the caliber but as above they run around $50 plus per box of 50

cheers mooncoon
 
If it does not need to be an obsolete round then .38spl is the easiest and cheapest, but the guns themselves aren't cheap.

So is the consensus then as long as the caliber is not on the no-go list, even if it's even if it's a more modern round like the .38 special and the pistol is antique, you're ok to discharge on land where an unrestricted firearm is allowed to be discharged? I've tried wading through the other threads on this, but there are so many posts in most of them, they get confusing.
 
In my opinion, one of the best true antique cartridges is the big, fat, hard-hitting 45 Schofield, but you would have to reload for it. Brass is available, cast bullets are available, and dies are available.
 
If reloading intimidates you just get a Lyman 310 in your caliber. Low powered antique rounds are going to be easy to reload as the cases won't get stretched out of shape.
I would say 50 rds would last...well...10 minutes if you took your time. That was fun...now what?
You might as well go into the antique game reloading, if you stay the course you'll be getting a reloader anyhow, why wait?
 
If reloading intimidates you just get a Lyman 310 in your caliber. Low powered antique rounds are going to be easy to reload as the cases won't get stretched out of shape.
I would say 50 rds would last...well...10 minutes if you took your time. That was fun...now what?
You might as well go into the antique game reloading, if you stay the course you'll be getting a reloader anyhow, why wait?

This is what I'm finding out. I've got a buddy that shoots a ton of 9mm and reloads. He's got a Dillon progressive press and I think to begin with I'm going to just get dies for his set up and reload there until I get my own rig together.
 
There are two reasons to reload for antiques.

One, the problem of ammo availability is mostly taken care of, and it's very attractive financially - you could be started reloading for the price of 4-5 boxes of factory ammo. Seriously.

Two, you get to determine how warm the loading is. How hot do you want to load a 120 year old revolver? Some of the modern factory loads are hotter than I want to shoot in my old guns on a continuous basis, and the Fiocchi 455 ammo is quite warm. Loading lighter bullets at somewhat reduced powder charges reduces pressure and strain on old guns. Using a soft lead bullet further reduces peak pressure and as a bonus usually shoots better than jacketed or hard cast bullets. You don't get those choices when you buy factory ammo.

44 special cowboy ammo is nice for old revolvers, if somewhat scarce and fairly expensive. Usually the 38 spl wadcutter factory ammo is loaded light and most of it would be OK for older guns, and this might be your best bet for factory ammo in an antique. Unfortunately most of the antiques chambered for 38 special will run in the area of $4000 and up.
 
44 russian, 455 webley, 38 spl are all available, though may be loaded too hot for your preferences.

I'll also suggest reloading. For what you're going to pay for factory ammo you can load yourself.... at lesser cost... with greater control over loads.... and shoot a far wider array of calibers. For antiques it's pretty much a no brainer. Lee's hand press kit is a great option for starting out. It's a small kit, affordable ($70) and easy to use. Not the fastest, but really has the advantage as far as being easily packed up and stored, transported etc etc. You'll need some other stuff such as a scale (they can be found for $10 at gunshows), powder (avg $25-$40/lb), bullets, dies (avg $30-$60, more for special made dies), primers ($5) and brass. Factor that all together and you're running at about 3-4 boxes of factory ammo.... except that your cost to get started reloading includes several hundred rounds worth of materials... so you've essentially bought a reloading setup and ammo for the cost of 4 boxes of factory stuff.
 
Back
Top Bottom