Hi guys,
Hope you can give some advice here. My father-in-law has an old flintlock with a pretty unusual stock on it. He wants to restore and sell it...I'm advising against anything drastic but he wants to lightly sand it and use some vinegar on the metal (receiver/trigger group) I'm hoping he'll listen to me but at almost 80 he's pretty stuck in his ways and is hard to dissuade. If I can get him to leave off the wood at least, would vinegar do more harm than good to remove the rust?
Picture of the metal parts below.
Thanks for any help.
Hope you can give some advice here. My father-in-law has an old flintlock with a pretty unusual stock on it. He wants to restore and sell it...I'm advising against anything drastic but he wants to lightly sand it and use some vinegar on the metal (receiver/trigger group) I'm hoping he'll listen to me but at almost 80 he's pretty stuck in his ways and is hard to dissuade. If I can get him to leave off the wood at least, would vinegar do more harm than good to remove the rust?
Picture of the metal parts below.
Thanks for any help.


















































