eley 22

p14shooter

Regular
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Location
Nova Scotia
For those of you who shoot eley, what price are you paying. I bought some match, and I think I got rooked. I have never shot it before and thought I would see how it compares.

Paul
 
I buy ELEY Match EPS [Black Box] for about $1200.00/case of 5000. Tenex Ultimate EPS [Red Box] is about $200.00 more per case. Eley Sport or Practice is relatively inexpensive by comparison, but is definitely not as consistent, either. The top end ELEY compares favorably in price to top end Lapua (SK) and RWS rimfire ammo. Regards, Eagleye.
 
I bought a box or two of Target Rifle a few years ago. They've been sitting in my ammo box waiting for a special occasion. I pulled 'em out last week and fed them through an old Winchester Model 74 I like.

They smelled funny - kinda like glue. Nasty smell. Anyone else have this experience? Is this the price of excellence? 8v)

Dan
 
then yup, I have been had. I paid 18/box. I thought it was a bit pricey at the time, but still just wanted to give them a try. I will keep that in mind for next time.
 
P14, you haven't been "HAD". You bought a single box? If that is the case, the price is in the right range. Look at the quantities EE is buying. The dealer probably gave him a good price on a quantity purchase. Eley EPS isn't exactly a quick mover off the shelves. Price is one reason the other is most people can't shoot the difference in accuracy it gives. 22rf is a whole different ball game, in comparison to centerfire. There are many things to take into account. Varying rim thicknesses for one thing as well as consistent ignition. Some rifles, hate it as well. That being said, most rifles don't have tight enough tolerances to really show enough improvement to warrant the extra cash outlay.

Modern 22rf ammunition is the steal of the century. It's reliable, available in quantity, cheap, consistent and usually acceptably accurate in most off the shelf rifles. shooting Eley EPS in the average 10/22, will not turn it into a tack driver. The same goes for most other rifles. People that buy the type of rifles that require "match" ammunition, usually have the rifles purpose built and chambered for specific brands.

Rim fire match shooters, are an unusually picky bunch, to say the least. If they find a lot of ammunition their rifles really shoot well, they will buy several cases of 5000, not an individual box or a brick. Dealers, just can't afford to keep this stuff on the shelf, gathering dust. They need a quick turn over to make enough money to live on. They are doing their customers a favor by stocking it in the first place.
 
bearhunter, I can't agree more with everything you are saying. I shoot Lapua CenterX through my guns leading up to and including all competitions I take part in and a lower grade Lapua for practicing. CenterX costs me 22/100, and performs very well for me, so I ass/u/med that eley would be around the same, expecting it to cost me a bit more, but at that price I will keep with the tried and true. Maybe the eley club will be the way to go as that is only a couple bucks more than the Lapua a buy. Only time at the range will tell.
 
Back
Top Bottom