embarrassed the young fellas at the range today

The Kurgan

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
About half a dozen 20-something guys were shooting everything from Glocks to Ruger revolvers... when I came to my table packing my Swiss 1882, I got a few giggles and stares... I calmly looked over and challenged them to a little competition: shoot 5 rounds of what you have at 15 metres (benchrest)... the tightest group wins.

After the smoke settled, guess who won? :) 2 3/4 inch spread. Sadly, I've had better results (under 2 inches), but I was quite happy... as I was experimenting with some new cast boolets and powders and quite hot.

Happy to share my load recipe to Swiss owners.
 
3.3 grains Trail Boss (nearly fills case, but not quite)
PPU Nagant brass reformed in a 30 Carbine die, and cut to 32mm
deep seated .314" lead wadcutters (100 grains)
CCI small pistol primers
about 865 fps

clean burning, almost no fouling of the cylinders, and most importantly--no binding. Smooth operation.
 
Everyone says i'm an old man at heart. I love my 1882 and would love to take it to the range someday, still haven't made any loads yet. (being a 20-something guy myself I like the fact that you showed them up with a classic Swiss gun, feels good)
 
I recall a day when I went to the 25 yard pistol range of my club and encountered Mr. Tacti-Kool, a twenty-something who had about 5 shooting positions covered with his junk. Cases, an AR-15, .40 cal. pistol, and various sundry other gear that I can't recall.
Though nobody else was there, he had managed to monopolize almost the entire 25 yard range.

I squeezed in at the far end of the range, with about 3 feet of table space. (He made no offer to move anything).

Amusingly, I noticed that Mr. Tacti-Kool was wearing urban camo everything. He had human silhouette targets at 15 yards. The spray of bullets all over the paper demonstrated that the safest place to stand when he was shooting was directly in front of him ;) Bullet holes were literally scattered over a 3 foot area on each target, though he was dutifully firing slowly with his best two-handed stance.

Lacking a target, I folded an old McDonalds burger and fries bag into about a 7" square and stapled it up at 25 yards. I was trying out my new "Ruger New Vaquero" six-shooter in .45 Colt, with my standard 8 grains of Unique hand loads.

Firing one-handed, I put all six rounds neatly into the 7" improvised square target, though I had never fired the revolver before.
Happily, the fixed blade and back strap notch sights were well-regulated for me.

"Looks like the sights are dead-on." I said to Mr. T.K., but received no response.

A couple of my improvised targets later, with similar results, and Mr. T.K. packed up and left, leaved a ton of .40 caliber aluminum casings on the ground.

He was probably just finished shooting, but he literally could not hit a bull in the ass with a banjo, despite thousands of dollars worth of ordinance and the latest in urban ninja fashion.
 
I did something similar the other day with my customized BSA 310 Australian Cadet. 3 inch groups were the average at 50 meters with original open sights. A real pleasure to shoot handloads with this rifle... just 3.7 grains of Trail Boss. The sights were regulated in 1912 and are still bang on. A bunch of guys were sighting in their new rifles for hunting season and were getting similar results with big glass. Felt good using the irons.
 
Back
Top Bottom