Encore breech plug problem

brother1

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Location
Alberta
So, i haven't shot my Encore .50 cal in about a year (switched to my .300 win mag barrel for last years moose hunt) and I realized that I neglected to clean it before I put it away... after about 2 hours of cleaning, I got it back where it should be. I mounted a scope and started to sight it in, I thought it was going well until I realized that my crosshairs were wandering a lot when I had the gun in the rest and pulled my head back a bit... parallex i guess? my other scopes dont' do this..makes it very difficult to sight in (new bushnell muzzleloader scope with BDC reticle $180..not impressed) Anyways after about 40 shots I called it quits and went to clean my gun...breech plug totally seized and I will need an e-z out to remove it as no socket will touch it. My question is, what can I do to prevent this? something on the threads? How tight should the plug be? Can I put a "speed breech" in a standard encore barrell? Sorry fellas, this was a little long winded...:confused::popCorn:
 
The breach plug should be snug not really tightand there are several lubes available for plugs to specifically prevent this. No you cannot replace the standard plug with a speed breach.
 
I use gorilla grease made by thompson center on my breachplug and have never had a problem. Before you get the ez out, try to use KROIL on the breach plug threads and let it sit for a couple hours. This stuff works great.
 
Thanks, should I also be swabbing the barrell after every shot if I want the most accuracy? How important is cleaning out the barrel when I'm target shooting?
 
I use gorilla grease made by thompson center on my breachplug and have never had a problem. Before you get the ez out, try to use KROIL on the breach plug threads and let it sit for a couple hours. This stuff works great.

Good advice.
Other options for breach plug grease are:
Pink teflon plumbers tape, or any Anti-seize compound from an automotive supply.

My current solution is use Blackhorn 209 powder, and just lightly oil the breach plug after cleaning and before putting back in.
If you use any other powder or pellets, best have teflon tape or anti-seize on the breach plug threads.
 
Thompson Centre makes the proper lube and even a special applicator and their directions that come with the rifle, mention many times, how important it is to lube those threads every time.
 
As far as cleaning between shots..I do. I use a presoaked patch (can't remember the name off hand) and run it down the barrel then use a dry patch after. I think it is a TC product as well.
Ensure the presoaked patch is moist..not wet. If it is too wet you may end up leaving a drop or two in your breach plug causing very poor ignition of your primer. I have done this a couple times so this is a step I make sure is done everytime. Usually when this happens you can just about see the bullet leave the barrel quickly followed by a half burnt pellet, which lays there about 50 feet from you smoldering in the grass...;)
The one moist and one dry doesn't clean it right up but it gets rid of most of the big nasty ring where the bullet seats.
I used to just shoot with no cleaning between shots and after 5 shots found it hard to seat the bullets and with this I can easily double it.
Just my 2 cents
 
I use gorilla grease made by thompson center on my breachplug and have never had a problem. Before you get the ez out, try to use KROIL on the breach plug threads and let it sit for a couple hours. This stuff works great.

So where can I buy KROIL in Canada? I've googled it and it doesn't look like anyone sells it... mail order out of the US only...?
 
I have no idea where I got the KROIL from...but it seems to work well.
I also looked and the presoaked patches I use are Barrel Blaster Quick Clean Patches from CVA.
Hope this helps.
 
Princess auto have a 10 dollar small impact driver - 3/8" square drive. I bought one that can be amazing sometimes on stuck breech plugs and tight scope mount screws. Better to keep breech plugs properly greased though.
 
Back
Top Bottom