Good day,
since returning from tour, I just did not feel like shooting firearms and instead concentrated on my bow for hunting. My son and daughter approached me to go gun hunting. I have acquired a stock of 458/50 cal sabots and being a huge reloader for the 45/70, I have a ridiculous amount and selection of 458 bullets. I was thinking that I could essentially replicate 45/70 performance in the ML. I have found plenty of information on using 300 and 350 gr 458 bullets but nothing for 405gr jacketed or heavier lead. Now, I intend to use the ML for hunting so performance on deer is critical. I have the potential for elk as well but primarily whitetail deer. Is it worthwhile to work up something for the 405gr which I admit is pure nostalgia and the stock of bullets driving the idea but I also have a good holding of 300gr JHP, hornady 325 and lots of lead. Given this is outside my comfort zone of my normal rifle interest of precision, I would appreciate some thoughts on options. Or should I just stick with the standard ML fodder like the SSTor Barnes ML selection?
since returning from tour, I just did not feel like shooting firearms and instead concentrated on my bow for hunting. My son and daughter approached me to go gun hunting. I have acquired a stock of 458/50 cal sabots and being a huge reloader for the 45/70, I have a ridiculous amount and selection of 458 bullets. I was thinking that I could essentially replicate 45/70 performance in the ML. I have found plenty of information on using 300 and 350 gr 458 bullets but nothing for 405gr jacketed or heavier lead. Now, I intend to use the ML for hunting so performance on deer is critical. I have the potential for elk as well but primarily whitetail deer. Is it worthwhile to work up something for the 405gr which I admit is pure nostalgia and the stock of bullets driving the idea but I also have a good holding of 300gr JHP, hornady 325 and lots of lead. Given this is outside my comfort zone of my normal rifle interest of precision, I would appreciate some thoughts on options. Or should I just stick with the standard ML fodder like the SSTor Barnes ML selection?


















































