Enfield 1856 Help Needed

jpc

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
692   0   0
I have a fowling gun that appears to be a converted 1856 Military Musket.
Tower Lock 1856
Brass hardware
33 1/4 in barrel--blued
Checkered wrist
T TURNER -stamped under barrel in stock wood
No markings on upper stock of any kind.
Barrel has HH stamp under stock
No provision for sling

Is it a conversion and if so was T Turner the company or gunsmith that did the job.

It is going on the EE and don't want to mislead anyone if it is a conversion.

Thanks
jpc



1856tower.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

1856.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

HH.jpg
 
Last edited:
Given the markings, I suspect that it is a rifled musket rebuilt as a shotgun. I have a very similar gun, and it is either a converted service rifle, or it was made using surplus parts.
I doubt that the value would change either way.
 
With the "HH" stamped in the barrel I was hoping :)

What would the value of one of these conversions be.
This one is quite solid and looks very shootable.

Take care

jpc
 
Your gun is a conversion from a Pattern 1853 . From English Gun Makers by De Witt Bailey and Douglas A. Nie [/I]"T. Turner (Thomas Turner ) was gun maker in Birmingham between 1834 and 1890. Turner appears to have made many of the rifles used for trials by the British War Office in the late 1850's and was a prolific manufacturer of Volunteer rifles in the 1859 - 1862 period. Turner himself was a good marksman and oftened competed at Wimbledon and provincial rifle matches."
Normally when the name is stamped in the wood it suggests that is the stockmakers name, I would say that T. Turner converted this military rifle into a sporting gun for someone that was retired from the Military that was familiar with this type of action. By cutting the wood and removing the barrel bands it would lighter. It would be considered a collectable piece made by a very good English gunmaker.

Lets see what other collecters say.

I have had a few with the barrels and actions marked bt Thomas Turner

Road King
 
Last edited:
Rather than being a custom piece made to order, I would suggest it is more likely to be an example of using an available gun or gun parts to produce a sound, decent quality, marketable product. The markings are predominantly Ordnance. Turner's shop did the conversion. The Birmingham proofs would have been applied after the barrel was smoothbored.
 
What size is the bore. I don't think that has been mentioned here yet. If it was a P53 barrel smoothbored it would be in the .59 - .60" category or about 20 guage. It looks nice. Have you taken a photo of the inside of the barrel or had a good look at it yet? T. Turner made barrels, assembled muskets and rifles, stocked rifles. His name is found on many of these old pieces as his firm was very prolific. Nice piece. Dave
 
I'll take a photo of mine later today. I think you will find the similarity remarkable.
13ga. and .60 at the muzzle don't go together.
 
Back
Top Bottom