Enfield 1862 - What have I got here?

Cmd

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Location
Ottawa, ON
First off let me thank anyone for their advice. This belonged to a late relative who passed it along. My interests have been pistols, revolvers and rifles, thus, , I have little idea what this is, or what it may be worth. I have posted some pictures for the people much more in the know than I to perhaps provide some guidance.

Some searching points me to Snider-Enfield with a II and star marking. Beyond that, no clue.

All help appreciated.

CWSaAjB.jpg


GZiYA5X.jpg


0YDR66M.jpg


DC7OZrM.jpg


Thanks in advance for your help.
 
As you noted, it is a Mk. II* Snider rifle; a muzzle loading rifled musket converted to breech loading.
Originally, the stock went almost to the muzzle. It has been shortened, one barrel band discarded, and the nose cap reinstalled. Looks as if the comb of the stock may have been altered as well.
Looks to have been well used, some abuse.
 
Depending on the bore, I'd call it a "parts" gun. Ammo is very hard to come by unless you source components and reload your own, and the cut-down wood kills the collector value. If it's a family heirloom from a treasured relative, keep it as a wall hanger memento. My 2 cents worth.
 
I cannot thank the two of you enough for taking a moment to help me understand what this is.

Struck me as being rather, um, rough, but with no frame of reference seeing anything like this in person wasn’t sure where it fell on the grading scale for something over 150 years old, or even sure what is may be for that matter. I can spot the inconsistencies in many things, but, this isn’t my file.

LawrenceN, this was part of a collection that was left to my wife and I to use or sell as I saw fit. There are a couple heirloom quality pieces we will treasure and pass down. I wanted to ensure it wasn’t a rarity and ensure I didn’t do anything dumb. Many thanks for the help. There are a couple more I haven’t had a moment to look at yet and may need more help on identifying, they have no markings so may be replica’s for all I know, or even non-functional. Will get to those in the New Year.

I have to admit. It is very interesting trying to learn about “guns” so far out of the norm for me.
 
If you look at the right side of the butt, and the tang of the buttplate, you may find Canadian issue marks. Marks on the tang would be numerals over a second set of numerals. Upper number would be Battalion number, lower, the rifle's rack number.
If the bore is good, the rifle might be a shooter. Ammunition is pretty much a handloading proposition.
 
All the above advice is spot on.

Here is my observation: If the gun is neglected from the inside as we can see from the outside, then it is worth scrap or less.
 
If you look at the right side of the butt, and the tang of the buttplate, you may find Canadian issue marks. Marks on the tang would be numerals over a second set of numerals. Upper number would be Battalion number, lower, the rifle's rack number.
If the bore is good, the rifle might be a shooter. Ammunition is pretty much a handloading proposition.

Good advice. The markings on the tang would tie it to as specific battalion and therefore give you a good idea where it has been.
 
Back
Top Bottom