Enfield carbine repos and patched ball performance?

Canuck Bob

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is research for my next muzzleloader months away. How do the 5 groove short Enfields, P58 and P61, perform with patched balls? Also any tidbits of Canadian history would be welcome, specially in reference to the artillery.

If I pick one up research suggests that the UK produced Parker Hales are excellent. What about the other repos both new or used available here? What kind of value for good shooters or near new used?
 
I owned a Parker Hale three band Enfield back in the late 1970's and 80's' and considered ot to be an excellent reproduction. I sometimes wish I still had it. Built on the original manufacturing equipment, as I recall. I only shot hollow based minies, so cannot reliably comment on suitability for round ball but, as I recall, the rifling was about 1 in 78, so it might handle RB ok. Why not stay with minies? That's what they were designed for.
 
I owned a Parker Hale three band Enfield back in the late 1970's and 80's' and considered ot to be an excellent reproduction. I sometimes wish I still had it. Built on the original manufacturing equipment, as I recall. I only shot hollow based minies, so cannot reliably comment on suitability for round ball but, as I recall, the rifling was about 1 in 78, so it might handle RB ok. Why not stay with minies? That's what they were designed for.

I will get a mold for a Minie bullet but for shorter range fun I want to stretch my lead stash as much as possible. I think the P86 and 61 are 5 groove 48" twist. Thanks
 
I have had a couple of the early PH 1861s and they will fire a round ball accurately.If you get a PH make sure it is a made in England version not the later made in Italy ones as the English ones are better quality.I presently have an early unfired PH 1861 and a very early unfired PH volunteer rifle that I was saving to shoot when i retire
 
I have had a couple of the early PH 1861s and they will fire a round ball accurately.If you get a PH make sure it is a made in England version not the later made in Italy ones as the English ones are better quality.I presently have an early unfired PH 1861 and a very early unfired PH volunteer rifle that I was saving to shoot when i retire

chasseur, what are these UK built repos worth these days. Not NOS like your beauties but solid shooters in good condition?
 
Well research is going well.

1- the PH versions have the original's progressive depth rifling, shallowest at the muzzle. Implications? Do other makers follow the original as well?

2- the lock does not have a fly and can grab the half #### notch sometimes (?). What are the triggers like?

3- the sights are not adjustable for windage. Any fixes or fudges?
 
The ph are around 6 to 800 depending condition.Normally most shoot a bit high and some people put a taller sight on them and sometimes playing with the load (different bullets and charges) can improve things.As far as the lock goes I ve never had a problem and the trigger pull is decent.I think but am not sure the pedersolis have progressive rifling you will to check their website.Also the best minie mold for the ph 1861 is the lyman PH marked minie
 
Quality?

I was visiting the Pattern Room just after they got the Enfield/Snider gauges back from Parker-Hale.

They showed me the Sealed Pattern for the 1858, absolutely brand-new and PERFECT. Then I was shown the new Parker-Hale, serial number 1.

The Parker-Hale was better-made than the Sealed Pattern.

Quality!
 
Agreed. I have the P-H family and all are excellent rifles.

The 1x48" twist of the P58 and P61 stabilizes PRB as well as Minies. The slower 1x72" twist of the P53 is what is in many other ML rifles and they shoot well.

I use .564 RB and cotton patches, .570s were too tight to seat.
 
Last edited:
Have shot a trail with a friend using the short barrel Artillery model by P_H . His load was .565 ball 18 thou patch over 65 grains of ffg - he aced the trail except the straw cut. I have a new -unfired one with the original books and Cert of Origin as well as the sargeant's tool that I value at $850-
 
Another muzzleloader of the 70s and 80s to watch out for that was good with a minie and round ball was the Navy Arms Buffalo hunter .This was basically a sporterized Zouave musket and was very popular with hunters back in my day and I d love to find one in nice condition

image.jpg
 
Another muzzleloader of the 70s and 80s to watch out for that was good with a minie and round ball was the Navy Arms Buffalo hunter .This was basically a sporterized Zouave musket and was very popular with hunters back in my day and I d love to find one in nice condition

image.jpg

I knew a lady with the full length Zouave and if I beat her with my P-H, I was having a good day ..... we were both shooting Minies.
 
Back
Top Bottom