Enfield-Snider

frichtie

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Québec
Hi all,

I'm more and more interested in gathering informations on the Enfield-Snider .577.

I'm trying to find when exactly it became ''standard-issue'' with the NWMP and the Militia.

How much was it involved in the Louis Riel rebellion etc...

I know many of you can help, and maybe you know some website where I could see each and every different type (Mk1 MkII etc....)

Thank you,

Eric
 
Snider was issued to militia in summer of 1867, only the British regular army received them earlier.
NWMP received Sniders on mobilization in 1874.
Snider was standard militia arm in 1885 rebellion the Martini saw limited issue.
 
frichtie: If you want additional info try to track down a copy of "Defending the Dominion- Canadian Military Rifles 1855-1955" by David Edgecombe. I hope there's more discussion of Sniders as we move into the 150th anniversary. I have one with conversion date of January 1867.

milsurpo
 
Back
Top Bottom