English Flintlock Pistol.....not sure what I have here...

willywonka519

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Location
Alliston, ON
I'm not usually into antiques....but my inner ?pirate couldn't resist.

Anyways, I've exhausted my googling and I'm not too sure what this is.

It resembles a sea service pattern...with the ?belt hook on the side. However, the brass side plate and barrel don't fit with that.

The barrel is marked "london" with some faded proof marks. I could not find any engravings on the sideplate. There are some designs and a ?serial number engraved on the butt and the bottom of the trigger guard.

Any help in figuring out what this is / what type of military/civilians used this would be great!


PAYs304.jpg


CGVnaOQ.jpg


Y6BFiwm.jpg


7eDJJiw.jpg


DTgxjWC.jpg


jzaMFOf.jpg


7hzmFZ0.jpg


zW5Nvkb.jpg


O0ktatq.jpg


g41wD2l.jpg
 
All in all it is a very nice looking piece.
to me it looks like a well done composition of closely matched original spare parts, in that the engraving does not match from one piece to the next. it has been taken apart and reassembled several times by looking at the screw head damage. it was not stored properly in the past, the rust pitting on the tang, frizzen, and "belt hook" is fairly heavy. the #### looks like it is newer than the rest of the steel parts as well, so possibly a replacement? the buttcap looks as though the side straps were cut off at some point before installation, but it may have been made that way. the wood has an erratic twisted grain structure that I would associate with some types of tropical hardwoods, but it is wood and many species do look similar. the barrel is lined? looks like there is a steel liner. just my opinion
 
Back
Top Bottom