English Sporting Rifle

Easyrider

Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm going to try this a bit differently...
I have an English Sporting Rifle that has been in my family for many years. It was built by Mr William Beckwith, of Skinner Street, in London, around 1863. My grandfather brought it with him when he emigrated in 1890.
The rifle is a 14 bore, or .58 cal, more or less. The mould that goes with the rifle casts a hollow base conical bullet, .57 cal. The bullet fits very loosely in the bore, suggesting that it required a linen patch. Paper patch would not be thick enough. I plan, in the next few days, to make a bore cast of ferro safe, and get accurate measurements. As well, I will determine the twist rate so I can determine if the bullet dimensions are appropriate.
The brass mould is a pain in the butt to use. It is a side pour, and doesnt release the bullet well at all, even when well smoked, and has no sprue cutter, leaving a nasty sprue, very difficult to remove cleanly. I will likely get Leo Bumphrey to make me a better one, once I get all the information I need.
As I mentioned earlier, the rifle was built around 1863, which, I believe, was early in the development period of the tremendously accurate slug rifles used in the Creedmore matches, and such. The rifles made by Gibbs, and the like, fired bullets that were more or less 3 calibers in length. This one is 2. I have not yet measured the twist rate, as I havent found the proper cleaning rod to do it, but I can only assume that the twist will be slower than the Gibbs.
I plan to shoot the rifle. I had it reconditioned by a competent gun smit, who declared it perfectly safe to fire. If anyone is interested, I will record my progress.
2gbqADi
 
That. Sir, is one beautiful rifle, in fact, I've rarely seen another to match it. Your ancestor must have been one rich gentleman, for sure.
My family in England was of a certain social status, alright, but he disliked the whole "Downton Abby" lifestyle. Servants, dressing for dinner, all that, so he came to the colonies instead of going to Oxford. He loved life on the prairies, hunting and fishing, and the farm. He is still a rather "larger than life" figure in the neighborhood, even being dead since 1966. I am privileged to own the rifle, and a shotgun, and some other cool stuff, as well as resembling him physically, a little.
 
I’m in the process of building one right now. All original barrel and breech. I have to have a look through the parts bin, got a lot of parts to choose from and around four or five patterns of trigger guards and cap boxes. So much indecision..
 
I had a bit of time to fool around with the Beckwith rifle today. I have the original mould, which casts a hollow base conical bullet, .57 cal, by .877" long. I plugged that info into the Greenhill Formula calculator below. I used the specific gravity of pure lead, 11.6, and a muzzle velocity of 1200 fps. The result was a theoretical twist rate of 1/57". The actual twist rate of the bore of the rifle is 1/54". Mr. Beckwith,'s reckoning of proper twist rate is remarkably close to Greenhill, considering Greenhill didn't write the formula until 25 years after the rifle was built.

2gegbsV


I measured the twist rate by running the rod down with a tight fitting patch, and measuring a half twist. During that process, I discovered that the bore is remarkably smooth. I dont have a scope to be able to look at it, but feels very good. That is quite remarkable, considering my dad told me lots of stories about he and his brothers using it as a toy, shooting nails and fencing staples and rocks out of it! I am nearing the point where I can try firing it.
 
Your hollow base conical bullet sounds like a "Minie Ball". Very slightly less than bore diameter therefore easy to load but the hollow base expands to engage the rifling when the powder charge is fired. Much easier to load than a patched round ball and potentially very accurate too. No patch required. Good luck with shooting it.
 
Old Flinter, it is much like a minie ball. I'd really like to have a word with old Beckwith, to ask him if that was his plan. The bullet is lots loose enough to permit paper patch, but not cloth. Even teeshirt material is too tight. Question for you...do you swab between shots, when shooting minies? What about lead deposits? I've shot lots of muzzle loader, both balls and bullets, but always either cloth or paper patched, or grease grooved.
 
Your bullet doesn't have grease grooves. This suggests that it was intended to be used the way the service bullet was used, wrapped in a lubricated paper jacket. Look up the construction of the Enfield paper cartridge.
In your first post, you mention 14 bore. Don't you mean 24 bore?
 
Yes, tiriaq, you are correct...24 bore...typo.
I came to the conclusion that a paper jacket is the way to go. The paper patched bullet more or less slides down the bore with the weight of the ramrod, which is correct. Time will tell if the bore is smooth enough to not shred the paper. I have shot lots of paper jacketed bullets out of my Pedersoli Gibbs, but was never really happy with their accuracy in that rifle.
 
Back
Top Bottom