English volley nock gun

mrclean89

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Location
Nanaimo, BC
So after being referred to the rifle shoppe website earlier I discovered*The english navy volley nock gun with seven barrels.*

I am very intrigued by this piece and am wondering If it's legal in Canada and if any of you guys have shot one or own one ?

I would love to get one of these in the future sometime it looks like a blast :p

McLean*
 
Yeah thats what I was thinking, it's a cool concept.

What's the deal with importing stuff like that from the states is there massive tax on it ? The kit is 2150.00 I can imagine the import tax would be substantial.

I know if it's under 100 bucks then it's tax exempt or something, correct mr if I'm wrong.
 
No import fee or tax on made in the States muzzleloaders or parts but there is HST tax once it gets here.One thing to mention about the rifle shoppe before you order from them phone and ask if the parts are in stock or you may have a 1 to 5 or more years wait for the parts as they are notoriously slow on parts not in stock
 
I saw a repro one fired at Crown Point, NY Historic Site once many years ago, it was really impressive to see the multiple musket balls hitting the waters of Lake Champlain. Not very PC by todays standards, but still very impressive!
 
No import fee or tax on made in the States muzzleloaders or parts but there is HST tax once it gets here.One thing to mention about the rifle shoppe before you order from them phone and ask if the parts are in stock or you may have a 1 to 5 or more years wait for the parts as they are notoriously slow on parts not in stock

One to five years holy damn that's a long time!

By the way how was your baker rifle to build, I'm going to gunsmithing school next year and think it might make an interesting project. It's my favorite rifle of all time. Did you get the sword bayonet with it too ?

McLean

Modern reproduction flintlocks have to be registered as it is a firearm, some antique gun do not have to be depending on the gun, caliber, and wheater it was manufactured before 1890 I believe.
 
Modern reproduction flintlocks have to be registered as it is a firearm, some antique gun do not have to be depending on the gun, caliber, and wheater it was manufactured before 1890 I believe.

Very very very wrong my friend!
But understandable as Canadian gun laws make no sense.
Heres the deal for Antiques;

Manufactured before 1897 and no common ammunition?
NON FIREARM

Flintlock and over 26"?
NON FIREARM (even if you make it today or buy from pedersoli)

Flintlock under 26"?
FIREARM, (unless manufactured before 1897.)
 
The RifleShoppe Baker parts sets can be had with some of the harder work done.You get get a set with the lock assembled,barrel lugs installed.rear dovetail cut, breech plug installed to save you some work.However the parts are rough castings that need to filed
poished and sometimes shaped.The biggest skill you need in completing one is patience if you have none then have someone else build it for you.Most custom muzzleloading smiths will charge around$1000 to build it for you,well worthj the price.One of these parts sets aren t really for the first time builder.
 
Very very very wrong my friend!
But understandable as Canadian gun laws make no sense.
Heres the deal for Antiques;

Manufactured before 1897 and no common ammunition?
NON FIREARM

Flintlock and over 26"?
NON FIREARM (even if you make it today or buy from pedersoli)

Flintlock under 26"?
FIREARM, (unless manufactured before 1897.)

Wow, I have been misinformed, thanks for the info. This is great news then!

Cheers, mclean
 
The RifleShoppe Baker parts sets can be had with some of the harder work done.You get get a set with the lock assembled,barrel lugs installed.rear dovetail cut, breech plug installed to save you some work.However the parts are rough castings that need to filed
poished and sometimes shaped.The biggest skill you need in completing one is patience if you have none then have someone else build it for you.Most custom muzzleloading smiths will charge around$1000 to build it for you,well worthj the price.One of these parts sets aren t really for the first time builder.

Yeah I figured it would be along those lines, I do have alot of patience. I build alot of very high detail models. I think I'll work my way up to it later on in life when I can really give her the credit she deserves.

McLean
 
Manufactured before 1897 and no common ammunition?
NON FIREARM

Flintlock under 26"?
FIREARM, (unless manufactured before 1897.)


Close but to nitpick ---
1. before 1898 not 1897
2. no common ammunition is actually over roughly .34 caliber if a rifle and not one of the named cartridges if a handgun and not one of the named (and common) guages if a shotgun
3. I am not sure about the minimum length on a modern flintlock if the gun was manufactured that way. A handgun is defined as a gun designed or intended to be shot with one hand.

cheers mooncoon
 
1) your right, I worded it incorrectly meant 1897 or earlier.

2) True enough, I worded it that way for simplicity sake (I think there may also be some stuff about repeaters or some such?)

3) Hmmmmm, I suppose so... once again, welcome to firearms laws!
 
Go to top of page see STICKY link to cfc regs on antiques look for fact sheets on antiques its all there just tried the link it still works.
 
There is a quick cameo of a Henry Nock volley gun being fired in "Master and Commander", just as the real fight starts when the French ship is boarded. Guy holds it tight with BOTH hands and still it darned near wraps around his neck.

There was also one in several episodes of the "Sharpe" series.

They were merely a .50-calibre, you know. No trouble if you eat Wheaties and spinach.
.
 
Henry Nock built 600 of his volley guns for the Royal Navy and if you did find an original the value would be considerable. Apparently they were not popular with British sailors owing to the time it took to reload one and more than a few broken wrists due to recoil. I think you will have to resign yourself to dreaming about one.
 
Yes I remember it from master and commander I just watched it yesterday, this gun got me all revved up for the royal navy :p

I have seen some of the sharps show I want to try and get it on DVD when I get home.

Mike Webb, I know there was only that many made. As much as I wits love to have an original that is a dream. The repress from the rifle shoppe will have to do for now.
 
So do you need an import/ export permit to get a muzzleloader from the USA? I know you don't need a background check or 4473 and you have to register a percussion cap muzzleloader but not a flintlock. Could you just go to the US and bring back a muzzleloader? they are pretty cheap at cabelas' and gander mtn.
 
Back
Top Bottom