Equipment Loan and mentoring - The Winchester 1886 project

Big_Bear

Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Location
Southern QC
Hey Folks,

A little while ago I put up a post in this forum asking for advice on buying a Winchester 1886. Today I have in my hands a very fine old 1886 and all I had to pay to get it here was the shipping!

I should start by clarifying that the gun doesn't belong to me. It was loaned to me by one of the members of this forum - I guy I've never met. He saw my post, offered some good advice and then to my surprise he offered to loan me his prized 1886 in 45-90 for 6 months. We exchanged a few emails and before I knew it, the rifle was in the mail along with some good reloading dies a handful of brass and half a box of bullets - he didn't even wait for me to send the money to cover the shipping. This kind of trust and generosity is hard to find between friends, let alone strangers. Needless to say I feel very lucky to have a chance to learn about and shoot and work up loads for this rifle. How often do we save up and buy a rifle only to realize very quickly that it isn't what we were hoping for. We always end up having to buy before we try and usually end up losing money along the way. I'll have six months to decide if I'm ready to drop the dough for a similar rifle (this one isn't for sale).

Turns out, this isn't the first time Easyrider (that's his CGN handle) has graciously lent his gear to a member in order to promote the sport. And he has encouraged other to do the same.
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/988397-Equipment-loan-and-mentoring

Thanks for taking the leap of faith, I'll be sure to pay it forward.

So I've decided to document this project to promote this kind of community exchange and to try to make my fumblings as informative as possible as I learn about this great gun and how to load for this old cartridge.

I'll have to collect brass and bullets, powders and reloading tools. I'll be learning how to reload in the process. I'm hoping to get input from you guys on preferred loads and loading practices.

First things first - this old girl needs a bath. I'll need to give the bore a good scrub - it's like a black hole.

Next post will have pics of the rifle.

I hope somebody out there will find this interesting / informative.

Talk soon,

Big_Bear
 
I picked up an 1886 45-70 a few years ago. A rebarreled 1890s rifle. Good shooter and great condition, but not a "collector's" rifle because of the non-original barrel, which suits me fine - i don't actually care for "collectors" very much. They just #### up the market and take to many guns out of circulation. :) These guns were made to shoot, not collect dust.
 
My 1886 is one of the most pleasant experiences I've ever had with an old gun. It's a "beater" looking gun...very well used shall we say but I bought it regardless of shape because it was "straight and un-molested" (and very affordable). The bonus was, after a good bore clean, the first rounds thru the gun shot 2" at 100 yrds and it has continued to do that at every use.

You can't tell a book by it's cover is very true in this case.
 
You can't have my wife!!! Most of my other stuff, though, I am less territorial about. I have even loaned my Harley to a few friends. Very good friends...
My other stuff, though, is just stuff. I love that old '86, but I expect to get more much pleasure from hearing about Big Bear's experiences with it, than I would if it languished in my safe for the next six months. Honestly, I haven't shot it in probably 20 years, and I really like the idea of helping a fellow traveller take up the black powder hobby, in one of its many forms. I wish him well, and hope to hear about this little deal inspiring him to develop his interest further.
As some of you may know, this is not the first time I have done this. I have helped other CGN'ers with equipment loans, or in other ways, and almost without exception, the relationships have developed into real friendships, and we communicate regularly. In one case, I loaned a bow to a young guy in BC, and within a few weeks, his wife and kids were taking lessons, and it had blossomed into a whole new family activity. What better payback can you ask for, I say!!
Sometimes, these little gestures even pay dividends decades later. In 1976, I was a young journeyman lineman with Manitoba Hydro, and I helped a young couple who were moving into an old farm house that they had bought, just getting started farming. I hooked up their service for free after work, so they could have power for the weekend to make the project easier. They have farmed there for almost 40 years, and as luck would have it, there is now a herd of elk living on their land, and they allow me and my son-in-law exclusive bowhunting privileges. Talk about return on investment! We have had the most unbelievable hunt this fall, elk everywhere, up close, and undisturbed. Steven and I will remember this fall for the rest of our lives.
I highly recommend doing someone a favor. It gives you a sense of self worth that you can't find anywhere else, it sparks friendships, and it improves your life in ways that you can't even predict. It also, I think, can make CGN into a much closer knit family. Thanks, Noah, for buying in to the idea...
Glen
 
Easyrider, you're at it again! Thanks to you, my whole family (well, the middle girl decides she still likes guns more, lol!) has taken to archery. My oldest and youngest girls absolutely love it, and both are in the Junior Olympic Programme that the BC Archery Association puts together. Since then, my neighbour's kid, who often watches all of us shoot our recurves in the backyard, has taken up the sport as well. And the other day, I took an ex-neighbour's son and his dad over to our most amazing 3D Range up Burke Mountain (which emulates hunting in the forest), and got them hooked as well. Over the next few days, they bought their son a bow and some arrows too!

So you see, the ripple effect of your good deeds continue on, Easyrider! I myself have gone on to make my own arrows from wood shafts, played around with weights, different broadheads etc. It is quite the hobby.

I wish I could hunt like you though...a herd of elk all to yourself!! Wow!! I completely missed the bowhunting season here. Yes, I know I could take my bow our during rifle season, but the game would all be so spooked by now that I'd be lucky to see one within 100 yards, let alone the 10 to 15 yards that I would be comfortable taking a shot with.

The other issue as well is hunting partners. Since I'm new to this, I don't really yet know a lot of guys who hunt with bows, hence, it'll take some time to get to know people who know where the best places are to hunt with a bow.

Still, I got my start. And it's all through a great guy called Easyrider and his bow. Big bear, enjoy your rifle and pass the favour along to someone else one day!
 
Back
Top Bottom