Euro Arms

gunsaholic

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
416   0   0
Okay, I know it's not an antique but it is "vintage" black powder. Just added this gem to the herd. Got it from a great forum member. She's a Euro Arms 1861 Springfield in fantastic condition. He even sent a bunch of minie balls . Now to wait for some "shootin" weather. Anyone have any advice or experience with one of these?

 
If its a 58 cal. I have a reproduction 58cal Zouave, I started with 70gr 2f, sometimes shoot 80gr 2f. I personally use Crisco fill the bass and the lube groves the best you can at home find a container that will hold them firmly so they don't roll around on the way to the range, pick em out load em up and have fun. Some use Crisco mixed with paraffin wax I find it easier to just get messy at home wash my hands. Make sure to bring paper towel or the grease will get everywhere, when loading. Buy some of the liquid bp solvent buy a cheep 1/2" dowel and put a wet one down followed by a dry one between each shoot, this will allow you to shoot all day and cleaning much easier. Lastly if you can find a copy of the Lyman black powder book BUY it.
http://www.amazon.com/Powder-Handbo..._UL160_SR116,160_&refRID=164KPAE25747WYZGXXF4
 
Tap water is THE BP solvent.

All this modern stuff wasn't available back in the day...

Service load was 65gr BTW - the P53 service load was just 2.5 drams - 68.5gr - both of what was then called Fine Rifle Powder - 3Fg.

tac
 
Minnie guns are fun here s one of mine a Custom Springfield saddle ring carbine with Bobby Hoyt barrel
aal-136_1.jpg
 
If its a 58 cal. I have a reproduction 58cal Zouave, I started with 70gr 2f, sometimes shoot 80gr 2f. I personally use Crisco fill the bass and the lube groves the best you can at home find a container that will hold them firmly so they don't roll around on the way to the range, pick em out load em up and have fun. Some use Crisco mixed with paraffin wax I find it easier to just get messy at home wash my hands. Make sure to bring paper towel or the grease will get everywhere, when loading. Buy some of the liquid bp solvent buy a cheep 1/2" dowel and put a wet one down followed by a dry one between each shoot, this will allow you to shoot all day and cleaning much easier. Lastly if you can find a copy of the Lyman black powder book BUY it.
http://www.amazon.com/Powder-Handbo..._UL160_SR116,160_&refRID=164KPAE25747WYZGXXF4

crisco with beeswax works even better. play with the ratio to suit your taste, i'm using about 60 40 crisco to wax right now
 
Back
Top Bottom