Experience with 35-30 Maynard 1873?

Willy Tincup

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
575   0   1
Location
Owen Sound
Just purchased a nice old Maynard in cal 35-30 [1873] and would like to get some brass to shoot the old girl. I have 1 loaded round and 1 empty round of brass. It takes the brass with the large diam rim of approx 3/4" and thick construction.
I have read that brass can be made from 38-55 cases [which I don't have at this time] so thinking of silver soldering a brass 3/8 washer on inside the rim. shorten the case to the proper length and turn the washer down to the proper diam.
Any thoughts? pros or cons?
Or would it be better to start with 3/4" brass and turn the cases from scratch? I don't have a lathe so I'll be paying someone to do it either way.
Just looking for 6 or maybe 10 cases.
Comments and ideas welcome. Thanks.........wTc
 
you have two major concerns; case length and case base diameter. If 38-55 shells will work then you can also anneal 30-30 shells and fire form them out. The large rim on some Maynard shells was for hand extraction so you may want to think about the need to adding an extra rim and softening the base vs just popping the shell out with a knife point or small screw driver

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks Mooncoon: We have taken your advise and used 30-30 brass, trimmed and sized down and then soft soldered a grade 8--- 3/8" washer which fits perfectly, on the inside of the rim. Haven't shot them yet but they chamber fine and if you sat a bunch of them in a row you can't pick out the original one that I have. .............wTc
 
Back
Top Bottom