Export declaration for antiques from the US?

BadLieutenant

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Location
Montreal, Quebec
I'm planning on buying an antique revolver from a US citizen (not a dealer), and was told by a friend (that is a dealer in the US) that I would need to have someone that is registered as an exporter to file an export declaration with the US Department of State.

He said that applies to antiques built before 1898 and only blackpowder muzzle loaders can be exported with no paperwork involved :confused:

From what I read here, only a custom form is needed for shipping with USPS....

Also, should I have the custom form to list the revolver as "prescribed antique revolver" ?

Many thanks
 
I'm planning on buying an antique revolver from a US citizen (not a dealer), and was told by a friend (that is a dealer in the US) that I would need to have someone that is registered as an exporter to file an export declaration with the US Department of State.

Unless, something changed in the last couple of months, your friend is misinformed.
 
I've never heard of this before. In general, antiques are not regulated in the US. You just pop them in the mail to whoever or wherever you want. Dingus's recent gun that went to US customs and was quickly put back into the shipping route didn't seem to need that. I have had several non-antique firearms exported out of the US and for those, an export permit is needed, but not for antiques in my own experience.
 
I'm planning on buying an antique revolver from a US citizen (not a dealer), and was told by a friend (that is a dealer in the US) that I would need to have someone that is registered as an exporter to file an export declaration with the US Department of State.

He said that applies to antiques built before 1898 and only blackpowder muzzle loaders can be exported with no paperwork involved :confused:

From what I read here, only a custom form is needed for shipping with USPS....

Also, should I have the custom form to list the revolver as "prescribed antique revolver" ?

Many thanks

A friend who is a dealer down there told me the same thing about the export declaration last week. I posted about it in Dingus' thread about US Customs yesterday. If it is a requirement it's not being enforced very hard because I got a RIC shipped from a private individual a couple weeks ago. It makes me nervous though.

Mark the customs form as "pre-1898 antique" without mentioning that it is a firearm (because by actual law, an antique is NOT a firearm in either the US or Canada). That has worked very well for me and has been accepted by the customs people. You should avoid having an external label that tells the handler the pkg contains a gun. Good way to lose it, and Canada Post recommends against it as well.
 
Last edited:
I've had several antiques sent through by USPS with no problems from either USPS or customs. The only thing required was the declaration form filled out stating that it was an antique made previous to 1895.
 
Get the serial number from the antique your going to buy or have bought. Send the numbers to the R.C.M.P. & have a letter of 'Antique Status' drafted. Once you have that letter have the shipper put a copy in with the packaged antique and ship away.
I have talk to customs at the 'Ottawa level' and there printed guidelines on prescribed antiques for front line agents has a few errors and/or omissions. The onus to prove it is an antique is up to you. Without proper paperwork, it will more than likely get seized.
A paper reference from the FRT or an original document from the manufacturer may buy you some love, but as of right now I know the letter from the R.C.M.P. is accepted.
 
I don't think it is true either. The first antique I personally brought into Canada, I had an RCMP letter with it, but Customs Canada agent checked their own database just to make sure I didn't make up the letter or something. Their own data said that the pistol was antique, so they charged me the obligatory tax and sent me and my sixgun on our way. The RCMP letter is all you usually need, but if you don't have one, it will still get through provided it is an antique according to their list.
 
Dont be so quick to think your right or wrong when it comes to customs.
The declaration is supose to discribe the contents.
Or seizure can happen.

I had Two S&W DAs seized because the seller didnt discribe the contents good enough.
It says right on the antique letters the following regulations DO apply to antique firearms ie storage display Transportaion and handleing regulations. some customs in the past wanted Antique firearm on there to discribe its contents.

This was a few years ago now but just writeing Antiques and nothing else is a risk as its to vauge.
Pre 1898 Antiques is better.
I have had Antiques guns seized and gone thru the process to get them back and won.

I think they have lightened up some at some customs locations.

I still use Antique firearm Documents inside. the fact you get away with just antique dont meen everyone will.
"Antique" could be a whistle or a box of coins anything old.
 
To briefly reiterate the conversation I had with a senior officer in Ottawa: He stated that the onus to prove that it was 'antique' was mine and that I was following, or at least the spirit of the law; with regards to importation and transportation of said 'antique'.
Over the half hour conversation, I was to interpret this as: Have all your ducks in a row before attempting to import. The more documented paperwork you have proving your point the better off you will be in dealing with the possibility that the customs agent is not right up on this process.
This is not gospel, only my opinion. And so far it has been good advice for me with this matter.....
 
I'm by no means saying to wing it and hope for the best.
I'm saying that you don't necessarily "need" an RCMP letter to import an antique firearm.
And the lack of one won't result in an instant seizure.
I personally don't get RCMP letters any more since the time they asked for my PAL #...
 
To briefly reiterate the conversation I had with a senior officer in Ottawa: He stated that the onus to prove that it was 'antique' was mine and that I was following, or at least the spirit of the law; with regards to importation and transportation of said 'antique'.
Over the half hour conversation, I was to interpret this as: Have all your ducks in a row before attempting to import. The more documented paperwork you have proving your point the better off you will be in dealing with the possibility that the customs agent is not right up on this process.
This is not gospel, only my opinion. And so far it has been good advice for me with this matter.....

you are right on one thing the more paperwork the less trouble with customs. although you do not need it if sender specifies exactly what he is sending, its better to put a copy of the letter to clear the mud. nobody says the customs are the brightest in the line up.
I will tell you a short story about US customs officer.
I drove my friend to pick up a truck he bought on the other side of the border. On the way back i was stopped by the officer ( found that unusual ) he asked me why i came to US when i told him he asked WHY I WAS NOT IN THE TRUCK WITH MY FRIEND there you have it.
 
Back
Top Bottom