exporting antique pistol to the US question

If it's antique in Canada, it is antique in the US......

I have bought antique firearms in the US in the past.......just to be on the safe side I would have a RCMP antique status letter with the firearm.
 
Discussed many times before, shipping is the problem. Shipping Companies including Canada Post will not handle Firearms modern or Antiques.
 
Discussed many times before, shipping is the problem. Shipping Companies including Canada Post will not handle Firearms modern or Antiques.

You need to get your facts straight. Canada Post will indeed ship firearms, ground only though.

OP, yes you can ship your antique to the US via CP ground with no issues. You don't need a RCMP letter either. The CBSA folks are well acquainted with the law but it never hurts to throw a copy of the pertinent regs in the box.
I posted a compliance letter years ago, that I developed with a gun dealer I know from the States. It was intended for import but cites both countries laws so would likely benefit you.
I will see if I can find it again.

Found it. If you are interested PM me your email address and your preference of Word Doc or PDF. I can't attach it here.
 
Last edited:
That thread is much like this one, you stating opinion as fact without providing proof, and it being refuted.

Canada post for many years now has allowed true antique guns to be shipped to the USA from Canada. This is because antique guns are not recognised in Canada as firearms or weapons (the same is true with antique swords). The shipping contents label needed to state "pre-1898 rifle or pistol or musket."

Just when did Canada Post change the rules ?

I am not sure on the Winchester question I only ever shipped prescribed antiques.
I have used CP in the last two years to ship prescribed antiques into the USA but as JP says I may have just been lucky to not have had any problems.

I think the key is that true antique guns are nothing more than lumps of steel as far as Canada law and Canada Post are concerned. I would certainly like to hear the definitive last word on the issue and not someone's opinion.


OP, contact the CBSA and ask them. They are the ones who will ultimately be responsible if things go awry.
 
Last edited:
Large dealer I know had a shipment of antique firearms seized by Canada Post and took him almost a year to get them back. After that he was told not to ship firearms outside of Canada using Canada Post. If you want to gamble that your firearms will get through, go ahead I sure don't anymore.
 
In a conversation with John Denner at a gun show in Cornwall Ontario some time ago he was very definite about not trying to ship antique handguns to the U.S.

He said ---don't do it.
Sell them in Canada.
Apparently he had some bad experiences.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom