External Hammer Drilling

Piglet

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Calgary, AB
A friend of mine is researching an old gun he inherited.

He sent me the attached photos yesterday, and it is an external hammer drilling.

His pictures are not the best and I have informed him he will have to do better than out of focus smart phone pictures, as condition is paramount if he is interested in value.

I have also asked him to provide more information, such as bore size, caliber, serial numbers, proof marks and such.

One of the photos is a label from the case that came with the gun and it lists Thomas Newton of Manchester, could be it was imported, or possibly made his company, or it could just be the case it came in.

My question is did the English make drillings? I know they have some famous shotgun makers but the research I have done so far has lead me to believe most drillings and/or combination guns are of German or Austrian origin.

Sorry but I do not have permission to attach the photos.
 
Very unlikely to be English made.
Possible that it was retailed by a British house.
There should be abundant proof marks.
The rifle barrel may be in a rather obscure caliber.
 
if you look on the bottom of the barrels, you should find "not english made" for foreign imports. There is a good chance it will carry english proofs because I think german / austrian proof was not mandatory until the mid to late 1890s and even if german proofed, they might not be accepted in England

cheers mooncoon
 
I think I have figured out the pictures.

Or maybe not.

IMG-20130127-00015.jpg


IMG-20130127-00019.jpg


IMG-20130127-00020.jpg


IMG-20130127-00022.jpg
 
Last edited:
nice looking gun. How about a shot of the water table and the bottom of the barrels at the breach. Barrels in particular should give the caliber and guage and probably in metric

cheers mooncoon
 
Would love to know how the bottom barrel fired also. Would like to see the action open. Since drilling is basically german for three it's unlikely made in a english speaking country.
 
I've contacted him with some advice on better pictures of the barrels etc. He is on the road right now, but will post when I get better shots.
He is not entirely familiar with the nuance of valuing guns.

More to follow.
 
Would love to know how the bottom barrel fired also. Would like to see the action open. Since drilling is basically german for three it's unlikely made in a english speaking country.

On the ones that I have examined, when the rifle barrel is selected, a shoulder on the inside of the right hand hammer strikes a little connector which projects outward.
 
The only combination guns favoured by the British makers were the so-called 'Cape gun' - a combination shotgun and rifle side-by-side.

I've never seen a 'drilling' purporting to originate from an English gunmaker, so this might be a first for me.

tac

PS - this gun has a familar look to it..........http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=1831567
 
Yes I also posted the gun on that site, more opinions the merrier, right!
Just took me a little longer to get the pictures up here.

I also just posted there:

I have been promised better pictures by the owner, but it will be a couple of weeks. He is currently on the road in the Middle East and as I will be joining him next week and my plan is to get the full story on this gun if possible.

He did confirm that it is of German manufacture, but that can be confirmed when the markings are clearer. He also said the rifle barrel is 8mm. I'm not all that familiar with conversion but if 7.62 = .308, that is a pretty hefy rifle.

My plan is to ask him to take a series of pictures, in case disassemble, out of case dissassembled, close ups of the vital markings and overall views of it assemble with the action open and closed. (and this time no flash ).

I also made him promise not to try modern ammuniton in it until we determine what we have, as older barrels may not take the pressures of modern powders/charges. He agreed.


Thanks for the input I will update both sites as I get more info.
 
Back
Top Bottom