Extra Hard shot in Muzzle Loader?

1300_stainless

Regular
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I just picked up a new smooth bore flintlock from Loyalist Arms. It is a reproduction of the early British sea service musket. My plan is to shoot mostly shot from it. I ordered some cards,wadding and shot via email from a business in Alberta. I specifically asked for chilled shot, twice, because I knew it was safe for vintage muzzle loaders. I received Magnum (Extra Hard) shot.

I'm new to muzzle loaders and I don't know much about lead shot composition either. I do know that chilled lead shot is softer, having 2-4% less antimony than the magnum shot(Thanks Google). Can anyone tell me if the harder shot will be safe to shoot from my musket? I have emailed Loyalist Arms, but I'm anxious now and thought I'd check here too.

Thanks everyone!
 
the value of hard shot is that it distorts less in the process of being shot out of the gun. I doubt that there are any pressure concerns between using soft, hard or harder shot. The concern about hardness comes into play if you were to shoot steel shot out of the gun because without a thick walled plastic shot cup, it can score the barrel. The plastic shot cup is a problem because it leaves residue stuck to the bore

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks for the response guys. Loyalist would prefer the softer shot used in the musket. Since they warranty it, and I asked for it in the first place, I'm going to see if the supplier will fix their error.
 
Thanks for the response guys. Loyalist would prefer the softer shot used in the musket. Since they warranty it, and I asked for it in the first place, I'm going to see if the supplier will fix their error.

if its lead shot it will not make a difference steel I would want to use a plastic wad made for steel shot over the fiber wads so it does not touch the powder/burning gasses
 
Well that was an exercise in futility? (why bother asking?)

Not sure if you fully read the OP, but I explained I was waiting to hear back from the supplier and was looking for info in the interim. I asked so I could learn if Magnum shot was suitable for my musket. I learned that it works fine for others, but I was also fortunate enough to quickly hear back from the supplier that it's not recommended by them. Some day the warranty will be up and I'll know then that I can use magnum shot if need be without causing damage. I asked a question and learned something. Not futile on my end.
 
Back
Top Bottom