F. Joyce & Co. Percussion Caps (F4 No.26) Value?

Walther_PPK

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Location
NL
So I went to a small gun shop today and mixed in with the reloading components was a very modestly priced Tin of 100 or so Percussion caps. I have no use for them but the Tin looked old so I said what the hell and bought them with my regular powders.

Anyone know what types of firearms they are for or the value of these if any? They were sealed with gold foil tape until I opened them today to look at them.

P3120060_zpsukpkh1x4.jpg
 
Unfortunately worth FAR less opened (the gold foil) than sealed. Luckily, these are 20th Century - Believe Eley bought these folks out in the 20th century and the "successors to" should be a reference to that. Whatever they may have been worth sealed, it is now unfortunately only a tin so you have to value it as a tin, not as an "unopened can" etc. This is always a significant reduction in value.

Luckily this example is probably worth more holding some screws or something. By contrast 19th Century tins with a civil war provenance seem to bring the highest values; the rest seem to fetch far less than original cardboard ammo boxes (because the tins last longer) unless the labels are intact, and then certain brands bring more than others - but the empty tins alone GENERALLY fetch under 50$ with some limited exceptions.

Just to edit, I did a quick search and see Joe Salter lists a similar opened can for $125. "Good Luck" but maybe there is a collector following for this brand. I also notice theirs has a wraparound label yours does not. Absent that, I stand by my above pricing, no matter what JS thinks :)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom