Fast-twist .58 cal barrel???

tootall

Moderator
Moderator
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Location
BC
Does anybody have info on fast-twist (suitable for sabots) barrels in .58 cal? All i find is 1-66" or 1-72" twists.
I usually have good luck with googling for stuff, but I'm coming up empty today.
They must exist, I found the sabots right away.
Thanks!
 
Rice Barrel Company may have what you need. According to their site, they will custom cut rifling twist for a nominal fee.
 
I have an Italian zouave with a 1 turn in 30" barrel.
Shoots a Lyman minie with the base plug altered to a slight concave (basically a solid bullet) very well
 
What gun are you looking to put it on?

Green Mountain used to make "drop in's" that would fit T/C and Lyman but they have since stopped. There may still be some "old stock"/used floating around.

Rice could do along with a couple of others but would still leave you quite a bit of work to do and a special order from Rice or a few others could take well over a year (I am waiting on a barrel from FCI that was ordered last May).

Oregon Barrel (The Gun Works) will build a "drop in" for you pretty much ready to go (but the metal is not finished so would need to be blued or browned) AND they will ship to Canada (no issues) AND they generally only take 3-4 months to do the work.

They will cut in whatever caliber, twist, rifling depth, breech size/pitch etc.

But not cheap - count on $350 bucks plus shipping (about 45 bucks to Canada) plus convert to Canuck bucks and if CCRA grabs it (they usually do over 200 bucks) they will tack on GST/HST as applicable (another 40-50 bucks - ya, I do this often enough to know).

So all in you could be looking at somewhat over 500 bucks for the barrel, usually to go on a gun that is worth maybe 400 bucks "after" the barrel is swapped out.
 
What gun are you looking to put it on?

Actually, I want to build a really big! big bore PCP airgun!
Thats why I want a fast twist, to properly stabilize .45 cal jacketed bullets.
The idea is that by using a .58/45 cal sabot, the relatively low pressure of the airgun acts on a larger surface, to boost velocity.
 
Last edited:
"That calibre" refers to .58 or .45?
The twist needs to be balanced to the bullet, not the sabot.
From what I have Googled up, most 45ACP barrels are about 1-16" or so
 
Agree with that one. If ultimately you are looking at a 45 cal projectile why not scrap the sabot idea and simply go with a fast twist 45 and shoot pistol bullets (sans sabot).

In any event I have one more name for you.

You can check out FCI Barrels (Charlie Burton). He is down in Kentucky.

He's a black powder barrel builder, prices are reasonable, ships to Canada.

His "lead time" is getting a little stretched out now (advertises 6-8 months) but it took 9 or 10 to get my 38 cal tapered barrel from him (ordered last May).

You do pick the twist, rifling depth etc.

If you decide first what you plan on shooting (as far as bullets) you can figure the optimum twist for it and I would suggest shooting a bullet that engages the rifling will give you better accuracy and range than a sabot.
 
if I were making a air rifle id rather use soft cast bore size projectiles then a sabot for this reason alone

Agree with that one. If ultimately you are looking at a 45 cal projectile why not scrap the sabot idea and simply go with a fast twist 45 and shoot pistol bullets (sans sabot).

In any event I have one more name for you.

You can check out FCI Barrels (Charlie Burton). He is down in Kentucky.

He's a black powder barrel builder, prices are reasonable, ships to Canada.

His "lead time" is getting a little stretched out now (advertises 6-8 months) but it took 9 or 10 to get my 38 cal tapered barrel from him (ordered last May).

You do pick the twist, rifling depth etc.

If you decide first what you plan on shooting (as far as bullets) you can figure the optimum twist for it and I would suggest shooting a bullet that engages the rifling will give you better accuracy and range than a sabot.

My rationale is that if I use .58 sabots and .45 bullets, I still have the option of using .58 full diameter soft lead if needed.

As well, by using sabots, I increase the velocity a lot.
By using the greater surface area of the .58 cal sabot, but the much lighter weight of the .45 cal bullet, my speed will be up.

Galamb, thanks for the name FCI. Looks good.
fcibarrels.tripod.com/rifle-barrels.html
 
Charlie is well known in the (custom) muzzle loading community for making an above average barrel. I will never be a good enough shot to ultimately tell the difference between one of his barrels and those from Rice or Rayl (which cost about double by the time you get them to Canada) and I do own all of them plus one from Oregon barrel and Colerain.

If you send him an email telling him what you are after he may be able to give some advice as well (maybe - black powder is his thing).

He has been in business for a good few years now - bought out all the equipment from Goodien barrels when Jim packed it in - so at least in the muzzle loading community these barrels have a good "blood line".

His barrels are made with 12L14 steel, suitable for BP and most probably air, just don't entertain dumping smokeless down one. If you want different barrel steel I'm certain he can source it but cost would probably go up. Jason at Rice barrels will build fast twist with 4140 (chrome moly), but they start @ 300 USD.

From any of the barrel builders on the other side of the border the shipping has always came in at 40-45 bucks and there is no customs restrictions/issues either leaving the US or coming into Canada - although CBSA has dinged me for taxes about 80% of the time (usually if the value listed exceeds 200 bucks).
 
Charlie is well known in the (custom) muzzle loading community for making an above average barrel. I will never be a good enough shot to ultimately tell the difference between one of his barrels and those from Rice or Rayl (which cost about double by the time you get them to Canada) and I do own all of them plus one from Oregon barrel and Colerain.

If you send him an email telling him what you are after he may be able to give some advice as well (maybe - black powder is his thing).

He has been in business for a good few years now - bought out all the equipment from Goodien barrels when Jim packed it in - so at least in the muzzle loading community these barrels have a good "blood line".

His barrels are made with 12L14 steel, suitable for BP and most probably air, just don't entertain dumping smokeless down one. If you want different barrel steel I'm certain he can source it but cost would probably go up. Jason at Rice barrels will build fast twist with 4140 (chrome moly), but they start @ 300 USD.

From any of the barrel builders on the other side of the border the shipping has always came in at 40-45 bucks and there is no customs restrictions/issues either leaving the US or coming into Canada - although CBSA has dinged me for taxes about 80% of the time (usually if the value listed exceeds 200 bucks).

Good to know, thanks.
The US export is the big concern.
I had an idea that BP guns (and airguns as well...) are not ITAR controlled.
 
with a big heavy bullet you do not need a huge amount of speed as seen in that vid I posted for some reason a .58 cal cast bullet moving relatively slow seems to punch a nice clean hole in game
 
Yes, I agree.
I just want the option of using both full dia., and sub cal.

I need a fast twist (approx 1-16" to 1-32" range) to properly stabilize them. That was the original question.
 
Back
Top Bottom