finding .58 cal projectiles

small gamer

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
SW Ontario
I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of a PH Enfield 1861 carbine I purchased on the EE. I have been checking local shops and online trying to find suitable projectiles, specifically minie balls. No one I can think of has anything over .54 cal. in stock. The big guys like Dixie Gun Works or TOTW don't even have round balls in stock. I think I have a line on .570 RBs here in SW Ontario, but I would still like to get my hands on minie balls (that just doesn't sound right, does it?).

My thought is to use patched RBs for trigger time at the range, and minie balls for period authentic (Civil War) trigger time and deer hunting if I choose to use the Enfield for that. I know the correct path is to cast my own projectiles, but I'm not sure I want to go there, at least not yet. If any of you have a suggestion as to a retailer from whom I could acquire the projectiles I seek I would be grateful for the info.
 
No help here other than at 530 gr per bullet, shipping is going to be steep.
I snapped up a mold for minies myself, works great. Now to get the rifle working great...
 
Last edited:
I bought a few boxes of heavy (565 gr??) maxi-hunters from Wholesale sports a couple of years ago. I think they carry them sporadically. One a side note I know for a fact they will penetrate over 6' of black bear when pushed by 110 grains of black powder.

I also bought a Lee mold for a .58 cal minnie bullet of fairly similar weight from ebay, to make my own. Have not tried it yet. This is probably your best bet. If you are not currently a caster, could could get a basic setup for about the cost of 60 - 80 factory made minnie bullets, and you're off.
 
Back
Top Bottom