Finnish Sealing Rifle

mooncoon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Location
Vancouver Island
A couple of years ago, I traded for a strange rifle, unlike anything I had ever seen before. It was a percussion rifle with a strange miquelet lock and appeared to be from the mid 1800s. Flash forward to a few days ago when I joined a new antique gun group on Facebook and someone in Norway posted a photo of 3 antique sealing rifles he owned. Mine so closely resembled one of the three that I posted a photo of mine and he identified it as being Finnish. The miquelet lock is unlike any other miquelet lock that I have ever seen and while simple in the extreme is also very serviceable. I almost wonder why they were not used in other parts of the world where miquelets are common. Anyway, photos below. Almost forgot; it is 51 caliber and must weigh 13 or 14 lbs

cheers mooncoon

hhN3I4l.jpg


MyyKmPf.jpg


4mnHCcW.jpg


K5bxQZf.jpg
 
Collectors of Antique Firearms on Facebook. It seems to cover a very broad category of "antiques" from muzzle loaders all the way to WWII guns. Contributors seem to be from all over North America and Europe.

cheers mooncoon
 
Neat! How is the mainspring and the 'sear??' held in place? Can see all sorts of ways it could work.

Very neat in any event. Do they seem to all be made by the same guy or a regional style?
 
It’s definitely a Scandinavian snaplock. I like it, I’m thinking I’ll have to try another project now, and build one.
 
Neat! How is the mainspring and the 'sear??' held in place? Can see all sorts of ways it could work.

Very neat in any event. Do they seem to all be made by the same guy or a regional style?

The mainspring is held in by a wide tenon through the lockplate. You can see it on the inside view of the lock. I can't remember but there is probably a steel wedge driven in to keep the spring in place. On more traditional miquelet locks, the hole through the lock plate is quite a bit wider for a loose fit and the wedge is then driven in to force the spring into tension

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom