Fiochhi ammo issues in 8x27 French model 1892

Sluice

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Location
Calgary,AB
I finally got my 1892 out to the range with some new manufactured Fiochhi factory ammo and it was very inconsistent based on felt recoil and report. Has anyone else experienced this problem.

If nothing else the ammo is worth it for the brass but I was very disappointed with its quality.
 
I'm surprised at that. I had the impression that Fiochhi was quality stuff though I have used very little of it myself.

Presently loading for my 1892 using 32-20 Starline brass trimmed with TrailBoss and NEI mold 330-116-BB. Very happy with the results.
 
I've never tried the store bought ammo for the 1892. I always heard that it may be loaded a little too hot for the old revolver? I use 3.9gr. of Unique in my loads. What amount (minimum/maximum) of TrailBoss do you use in your loads vagrantviking?
 
I haven't shot any Fiocchi ammo for the 8x27 but i have used the brass for reloading - it's not great stuff, thin and brittle. The best brass I have is winchester and starline 32-20 brass trimmed and resized to 8x27.
 
Last edited:
I've never tried the store bought ammo for the 1892. I always heard that it may be loaded a little too hot for the old revolver? I use 3.9gr. of Unique in my loads. What amount (minimum/maximum) of TrailBoss do you use in your loads vagrantviking?

Mostly 2.5 gr up to 2.8 gr. Don't plan to try any hotter than that with the TrailBoss. If you hunt around a bit there are a couple good threads here for loading data. That was where I started.
I plan to try some with a full case of fffg black sometime soon too.
 
Considering that there are only 1 or 2 (maybe 3) revolvers chambered for the 8x27mm round :yingyang: , I've always wondered why Fiochhi would load hotter than the 1892 Service Revolver could handle ?......:wave:
 
It definitely was not loaded hot. My first round from five yards went pop and stuck the four ring of rifle target well below the bull and barely penetrated the paper and cardboard backing. The other rounds I fired struck within the bull and they were much louder.
 
It seems to me that there is a fair bit of variance in some of the Fiocchi ammo lately. I shot some Fiocchi 455 in a MKI a couple years ago that was noticeably faster and sharper recoiling than my standard handloads. I shot some new production 455 fiocchi ammo recently in the same MKI a and was surprised to see they were lighter recoiling than my standard reload, barely enough oomph to get the bullet out of the barrel. I wonder if Fiocchi has reduced the loads recently for some of these old chamberings.
 
Last edited:
It seems to me that there is a fair bit of variance in some of the Fiocchi ammo lately. I shot some Fiocchi 455 in a MKI a couple years ago that was noticeably faster and sharper recoiling than my standard handloads. I shot some new production 455 fiocchi ammo recently in the same MKI a and was surprised to see they were lighter recoiling than my standard reload, barely enough oomph to get the bullet out of the barrel. I wonder if Fiocchi has reduced the loads recently for some of these old chamberings.

That would be my guess, they were loading everything too hot before in my opinion.

Unfotunately from what some are saying and you included, is that they perhaps went to far in the other direction now.
 
Last edited:
I have never used the Fiochhi ammo, now I don't think I ever will. Best ammo I have is made with cut down Starline 7.62 Nagant brass. I made some from Remington .32-20 and nearly every case split on the first firing. That was new, unfired brass, too. :(

I had the same experience with the remington 32-20 brass. Winchester 32-20 and Starline 32-20 brass have both worked great though.
 
Maybe the charge is so light that it is position sensitive?
OP, I'm assuming that you loaded it with the muzzle pointing down ( that's the safe way IMO ), then raised it and fired. Perhaps a smaller charge was forward against the base of the bullet, then the recoil would have shifted the charge rearward ( or horizontal ) in the case. That would explain the following rds having more efficient ignition
 
Maybe the charge is so light that it is position sensitive?
OP, I'm assuming that you loaded it with the muzzle pointing down ( that's the safe way IMO ), then raised it and fired. Perhaps a smaller charge was forward against the base of the bullet, then the recoil would have shifted the charge rearward ( or horizontal ) in the case. That would explain the following rds having more efficient ignition

I'll try than on my next range session
 
Just curious, what size if the Fiocchi brass at the head? my 1892 has .360 diameter chambers (at the rear) and .32-20 brass sized with my Hornady dies measures .346. jiggles around in the chambers quite a bit.

B
 
My 1892 has .360" chambers.
The Fiocchi ammo measures .354" at the head.
The fit in the chamber is pretty good.

Just curious, what size if the Fiocchi brass at the head? my 1892 has .360 diameter chambers (at the rear) and .32-20 brass sized with my Hornady dies measures .346. jiggles around in the chambers quite a bit.

B
 
Well I ended up firing a box of it off "black box", bought from budget shooter supply and it all fired fine. It had a loud report with decent recoil, probably is loaded slightly hot.

Don't have a chrony though. Gun seems to handle it fine though, no signs of stress anywhere and cases are not hard to extract.

I ended up buying 4 more boxes of it.
 
h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjtm6OY8iVM

This guy is claiming on Youtube that he had Fiocchi 8mm pistol rounds which were so underpowered that they failed to leave the barrel, which as he points out would create a serious safety issue if you didn't notice and fired the next round.
 
Just a little update. A few weeks back, I decided to take it into the 200 yard range with the fiocchi ammo and just held it level with a 200 yard rifle target. The rounds hit the dirt about a yard in front of the target.

So they are not going to win any medals but they have enough pop to make it about 900 feet without raising the sights.

Still no chrony, sorry.
 
I never used the fiochchi ammo. I have a box of it. I dont think i will simply cause its way better to use lead bullets so I reload my own. So far winchester brass worked great. I have remington brass to try as of yet. I load Trailboss only 2.5 is absolute minimum. As far as max i had put 2.9 so far but i may load 3.0 if i get the chronograph to test it. Bullets are .327 from jethunter. I did use original fiochchi brass and had no trouble with it. And a few pieces of cut down fiochchi russian Nagant brass. problem is i cant find a shell holder. its a hornady#48 so if anyone here can get one please pm me or if you need any help with brass or reloading for this gun.
 
Back
Top Bottom