First Flint Lock question?

Alfonso

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Location
Okanagan
I've always wanted to try a flint lock rifle. Recently at my local gun store they had a reproduction (made in Italy, I don't want to say Pietta) flint lock (50 cal) that was explained to me as the type that was used by the frontiersmen typical of what an early Hudson's Bay Company trapper would have with him. For someone wanting to own a flint lock would this be a fun, good rifle to start with? Or can you recommend something better.........H:S:

alfonso
 
My understanding is "yes", read through some of the threads in this forum on the subject first and review the CFC regs on flintlocks, which are exempt from the registration requirements of the Firearms Act. On the south side of the border, my understanding is flintlocks are not considered firearms (for the purposes of exportation) so it's a straight forward process. Whomever you want to deal with, I'd suggest calling them as (if it is a company) they will know the US laws regarding exportation.

I have bought all my BP guns in Canada but know a few folks folks who don't hesitate to buy flintlocks from south of the border. Track of the Wolf does ship to Canada - I can't personally confirm they ship guns, give them a call.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm off in this - or elaborate.
 
Hudson's Bay Company trapper would have with him

who ever you were talking to is not the person to buy guns from. They are full of crap and should not be trusted further. Unless I have missed something I do not think there is a 50 cal italian flintlock out there that would bear any resmeblance to an HBC trade gun. If he is telling you that story then he is either totally uneducated about what he is flogging or is liar trying to make a sale.

That being said a 50 cal lyman (italian) flintlock for 300 ish is a great way to introduce yourself to alot of fun, great guns. Just do not pay more then 300 ish and do not expect to be replicating anything historical other then a 1970s deer hunter. Make sure you inspect the bore (especially down near the breech really, really, really well.
 
I would check around to see if there is a local black powder group in your area. Chances are there is one at your local fish and game/shooting club. Then go to one of their shoots. You will meet some really friendly and helpful people who will be more than glad to give you all the advice you will need. Flintlocks have a little steeper learning curve than cap lock muzzle loaders so it helps to have someone who can mentor you through things. Its not complicated but it can be frustrating...A Lyman would make a good starter gun as they are well built. Keep your eye on the black powder/antiques equipment exchange as they show up on a regular basis.

Cheers. Steve.
 
do a google search for bc black powder association; click on the rendezvous schedule and I think you will find one or two within reasonable distance from you in the next month or two. You can go as an observer and get an idea of what others are shooting and ask what are the merits and demerits of the ones that impress you

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom