First Flintlock

MattieRoss

Regular
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Location
West Coast
Hello,

I'm getting into "Old timey" things and would love to own a flintlock. Recommendations are appreciated, I have been looking at the Pedersoli Scout Flintlock, my main reservation is that it is .50 caliber and I'm hoping that would be fun to shoot. I am used to cartridge firearms, .22s and 9mm. It seems like a really fun additional hobby, and I've watched through YouTube, including hickok45.
 
Outside of getting a custom rifle Pedersoli are excellent rifles with good fit and finish. There is also Traditions but Pedersoli have a greater selection. Traditionally (with exceptions) original Flintlocks were much longer with barrels around the 40'' to 42". Depending on what you want to do with it, you may end up wishing you went with a longer rifle. I have owned Pedersoli rifles and do own a shotgun and would not hesitate on owning others.

Where are you on the west coast as there are a number of BP clubs around? I would suggest that you contact your local club and see the different rifles members have.
 
I’m in the lower mainland, I had no idea there were BP specific clubs! I find shorter barrelled rifles a bit easier to aim. Are they “historically accurate” ?
 
I’m in the lower mainland, I had no idea there were BP specific clubs! I find shorter barrelled rifles a bit easier to aim. Are they “historically accurate” ?

Most of the old traditional smoke poles are long rifles. There are some short carbine styles but really the length isn't an issue. In fact it comes in handy because when you're loading them with the butt plate on your instep to keep it off the ground the length puts the muzzle up where you can work on it comfortably... :) Unless you're rather height challenged a short "carbine" length gun would be like using the kid's urinals in all the fast food places.... :d

If you would like to try a couple of flint and cap lock options PM me for details. We hold regular monthly black powder fun matches here in Chilliwack and myself and others have more than one rifle that you could try for the day. Along the way you'll get chances to shoot both styles of action and a variety of lengths and barrel/stock styles for a shot at least. I've got everything you need to use for the 25 shot walk along the black powder trail for the morning in duplicate. I'll bring along one of each style and you can shoot half the trail with flint and half with caps.

This offer goes for anyone else here in the Fraser Valley as well. If not me I can put you in touch with one of the other shooters who would be more than happy to do the same thing for you. Just get in touch a few days to a week ahead of time. Our black powder days here in Chilliwack are typically the third Sunday of each month. But due to snow and ice sometimes the winter days are cancelled by weather.

If it's pouring down rain it still goes. But we take shelter on the covered rifle range because we're all made from sugar and would melt away in the heavy rain.... :d

There's a similar black powder group at Ridgedale that does a trail walk. I'm sure their website has a contact name and I'm equally sure that they would be more than happy to arrange for the same offer of a spare rifle with a week's worth of notice before the day you would like to go out.
 
Hello,

I'm getting into "Old timey" things and would love to own a flintlock. Recommendations are appreciated, I have been looking at the Pedersoli Scout Flintlock, my main reservation is that it is .50 caliber and I'm hoping that would be fun to shoot. I am used to cartridge firearms, .22s and 9mm. It seems like a really fun additional hobby, and I've watched through YouTube, including hickok45.

My first flintlock was a Traditions Kentucky rifle in .50cal.... paid around $500 for it at the time. That Pedersoli scout looks like an affordable option as far as pedersolis go! ull notice the pedersolis will have higher quality wood, and metal parts... many say their frizzens spark more reliably unlike the traditions rifles (but my tradition sparks just fine!). However I have a Pedersoli Brown Bess and ive noticed the wood fit to metal to be VERY sub par compared to that of my traditions rifle. Traditions knows how to make a good looking and functional gun for an affordable price is basically what im saying. It appears that the pedersoli scout has a hair trigger, which may be worth the added bit of money right there. A hair trigger would be nice on a flintlock however i honestly have no beef with the simple single stage trigger on my traditions rifle.

What new black powder shooters need to be aware of is the costs dont stop after getting the gun, the balls and powder... theres a bunch of shooting gear one needs to obtain in order to effectively fire their flintlock! They would be wise to price out the gun, balls, powder and ALL the initial shooting gear required to effectively fire the gun before committing to insure it all falls within their budget still.

They also need to understand the upkeep on keeping the gun clean and not corroding from the powder residue is even more prevalent than the surplus guns firing corrosive ammo. Accidentally miss maintaining (rusting up) a sub $600 flintlock is easier to swallow then say a $1400 pedersoli !

ALSO dont buy a righthand lock if your lefthanded!! like a bullpup, righthand flintlocks are not lefty friendly for many reasons.

MY recommendation would be:

If ur savy with ur cleaning (uv owned other corrosive ammo firing guns) and really really think ull love the sport, id go straight for the pedersoli scout. It is ultimately a better gun than any traditions gun, and it seems reasonably priced. 50cal is THEE BEST choice hands down simply because the balls, hunting sabots, shooting and cleaning accessories are the most common and accessible on the market. You can literally buy everything you need to fire a .50cal from a Canadian Cabelas... but for a .54 or .69 or something else odd... good luck.

Hope is not required... if you dont find firing a .50cal flintlock fun every time. Something is medically wrong with you.
 
Last edited:
Pedersoli is pretty great because you can easily get replacement parts and if your frizzen gets work a brand new one can be had easily. I have a Kentucky its pretty good.
 
Back
Top Bottom