First Generation SAA

GMoon

Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hi, I am interested in knowing what the general thoughts are on shooting an antique SAA using smokeless powder - good or not good. It has a modern barrel and cylinder in 44 Special and the frame is antique with a serial number in the low 70,000's. I have Unique powder and 240gr lead bullets. I was thinking on using 6.7 grains of powder. Will the frame be stretched? Will the frame strap blow apart? Thanks in advance for your time.
 
I might be old fashioned, I might be overcautious but personally I would never fire a gun that is over 100 years old. There are so many quality reproductions out there for a reasonable price it just isn't worth the risk to me. I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud just giving my honest opinion
 
Hi, I am interested in knowing what the general thoughts are on shooting an antique SAA using smokeless powder - good or not good. It has a modern barrel and cylinder in 44 Special and the frame is antique with a serial number in the low 70,000's. I have Unique powder and 240gr lead bullets. I was thinking on using 6.7 grains of powder. Will the frame be stretched? Will the frame strap blow apart? Thanks in advance for your time.

No the frame should be fine (if in good shape to start with) id start at 6 grs and work up tho . the fact you have a modern steel cylinder and barrel you will be fine with smokeless loads just dont get crazy with to hi a loads and use lead bullets only.
Unique is a good powder.
I shoot both factory 44 Sp winchester cowboy ammo CAN AMMos sells and fiochhi 44 russian in my colt SAA and so do lots of others on here with no ill effects or signs of any looseness at all.
 
Someone should be along shortly with experience on that cal. There is also a thread or sticky in the antique section on this.
It is perfectly safe if you know what your doing (as are all things!). The modern cylinder and barrel are a huge plus and as dingus said as long as you don't try and horrid it you are good to go.
Repops are no substitute for the real thing. Yours is already half repop ;)
 
I use Trailboss powder in my 44spl. I'd have to double check the grains, but I worked up and matched the FPS of the winchester cowboy action ammo.
I think they are 710fps.

It's an old SAA but it'll last if you don't over load it.
 
I think the cylinder is the potential weak point in a SAA but since you have a modern one, it should be just as good as any other similar modern cylinder. With original cylinders, the pressure they will take depends on the caliber, with 45 cal being the thinnest walled one and 32-20 being the strongest

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom