first muzzle loader

bigjohn

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Paisley ont.
Hi looking for any tips and advice, as I am looking to get my first muzzle loader.
Question # 2 does anyone have any experience with a tradtions pursuit xlt.
 
I bought a TC Omega kit a couple of years ago. In addition to the gun, the kit included many of the accessories you need for cleaning/maintenance as well as a DVD to show you how to load, clean etc. It shoots well (2 inch groups at 100 yards). Easy enough to clean. Here in SK, it extends the whitetail season by a month. Have fun.
 
Savage makes the best as far as I am concerned. I get to use smokeless pistol powder and don't have all that cleaning. It performs equal to th .45-70 (Factory loads) when I use .429 hornady bullets and sabots. My best kill to date was a mule buck at 275 meters (with scope of course). It is more accurate them some of my other hunting rifles at 100M
 
has anyone tried smokeless in 209 primered ML's?

if they are rated for 150gr BP, they should handle SP well..

I"d guess a slow one like h1000 should work Ok.

anyone try this?



NEVER EVER TRY THIS! EVER! NO smokeless in any blackpowder rifle! NEVER!
 
You are right lyman 54. In some states south of the border they do not allow scopes, and I think they even have some states where they talk about flint versus in line. Thats cool, however the laws in my province of Alberta allow us to use MUZZLE LOADING RIFLES and do not get particular. I think that they should have hand gun seasons as well.
 
has anyone tried smokeless in 209 primered ML's?

if they are rated for 150gr BP, they should handle SP well..

I"d guess a slow one like h1000 should work Ok.

anyone try this?

Please, before you do ANYTHING else with regard to black powder shooting, get yourself the Lyman BP handbook. You really need to do some background research first before you kill yourself or a bystander.

It contains some dandy photos of BP guns that were fired [just once] with smokeless loads.

We have such a gun on display in our local gun-store - a Uberti Rogers & Spencer revolver - that was fired with 30gr of 2400 [the top load for the .44 magnum revolver is around 25gr].

The bloodstains are still on it.

tac
 
You are right lyman 54. In some states south of the border they do not allow scopes, and I think they even have some states where they talk about flint versus in line. Thats cool, however the laws in my province of Alberta allow us to use MUZZLE LOADING RIFLES and do not get particular. I think that they should have hand gun seasons as well.
Pennsylvania is only flintlock in ML season, I think that's cool. Yes I believe there should be a handgun season, can't see it happening tho. I don't hunt just a shooter so maybe I should bow out of this gracefully.cou:
 
Back
Top Bottom