first shot on my snider cadet

Rdrash

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Location
Edmonton area
Hello, I just bought a snider cadet and beg/borrowed a couple shells off my cousin to try it out. The snider is in really nice shape but on my first shot the front sight (shotgun bead) blew off. Now my question is were they supposed to be threaded in or silver soldered in. I cant see any threads in the hole. Now the original bead sight is probably orbiting the earth now so can someone tell me what size it should be. Thanks
Trevor
 
The snider is in really nice shape but on my first shot the front sight (shotgun bead) blew off. Now my question is were they supposed to be threaded in or silver soldered in.

I would suggest filing out a blade type front sight shaped like an upside down T and file the "top of the T" concave to match the curve of the barrel. I would soft solder it to the barrel and probably avoid putting it over the hole from the bead sight

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks but I will try to keep it original as a cadet so ill be looking for a shotgun bead sight. I'm just wondering what it looked like as mine was already chewed up before it flew off.
Sorry deckerhead but I plan to reload the shells myself.
 
As far as I know, if the cadet rifles were fired at all, it was with blanks.

To repair, while retaining the original appearance, tap the existing hole with the smallest tap that will cut clean threads, and make and install a round steel bead.
Given how low a bead is, compared with the front sight on all other Sniders, I bet that it shoots really high.
A shooting option would be to thread the hole, and install a higher front sight. That way you would have a choice - functional front sight, or original appearance.
 
thanks Tiriaq that's kinda what I'm leaning to. Its a nice gun and should be a lot of fun to shoot behind the barn. I'm going to order some casses for it from track of the wolf and start loading them.
Trevor
 
thanks Tiriaq that's kinda what I'm leaning to. Its a nice gun and should be a lot of fun to shoot behind the barn. I'm going to order some casses for it from track of the wolf and start loading them.
Trevor

i dont think the brass cases can be shipped out of usa. I saw that mentioned on their site.
 
The front bead should be brass. I have seen two different diameters though but mine is appx 1/16 diameter on a small post and is appx 5/32 tall. Everything looks to be original since it was cut down but who knows if the armorers all used the same diameter beads.

Tiriaq is right, thread it and either get a bead with a threaded post or make one up.

One thing about cutting some fine threads, if you can make up a proper mandrel to fit inside the bore you can make up a special cover and rivet the bead into place, obdurating the brass post to fill the threads.
 
A suggestion. I have an artillery Snider which also has a short barrel. It had the regular Snider block steel front sight which is silver soldered in place. Like every Snider it shot about fourteen inches high at fifty and one hundred yards. So, I did the math and had my gunsmith fit a similar sight to the original but one quarter inch higher. It is silver soldered in place. This rifle shoots to point of aim at both fifty and one hundred yards. I kept the original front sight so, if I ever wanted it original again, I could change it back. I would lose the bead front sight and change to the block style...higher. The bead is not very functional or durable. The cadet is a modified long rifle anyway so changing the sight will not adversely affect value. Buy some decent brass to reload. I have Bell and Kynamco drawn brass as well as some NDFS turned brass. Ten will do the trick as, if looked after, they will last a very long time. Buy boxer primed only. My favourite load is 75 grns. Swiss 1 1/2 under two card wads and topped with a .600" round ball.
David
 
thanks everyone, for the advice. Now as for shipping the brass, I was under the impression that if I send it to Arizona and then could take it on as luggage on the plane home or maybe mail it to myself. But I could be wrong?
Trevor
 
thanks everyone, for the advice. Now as for shipping the brass, I was under the impression that if I send it to Arizona and then could take it on as luggage on the plane home or maybe mail it to myself. But I could be wrong?
Trevor
Brass shotgun shells are specifically exempt from the ITAR list of regulated items (ITAR 121.1-III-f-1). i.e. no special permits required for export out of the U.S. So you can order 24 ga brass shotshell casings from Buffalo Arms, for instance, and they will ship them to you in Canada.

In contrast, rifle and pistol brass - even for obsolete calibres - is not exempt, and to export those from the states - regardless of method - requires paperwork to be done. Obviously it's tempting to buy or pick it up in the U.S. and travel back with it, because it's rare that U.S. customs inspects people's baggage as they're leaving the states. But according to U.S. laws, you are risking trouble if you export (i.e. remove from the U.S.) items that are regulated by the ITAR without adhering to the regulations, which demand onerous paperwork. But if you are getting 24-gauge brass, it's a moot point anyway.
 
Back
Top Bottom