First Shots out of Savage

deertroy

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Location
Nova Scotia
This is the first three shots out of my new Savage 10ML-II. I know it isn't that impressive but.............I hurried up to the range just before dusk,..............I have never fired a muzzleloader before and..............this was with the factory open sights at 100yds.
All things considered I think it's not bad. Yes I know it's shooting low but that's just a matter of a sight adjustment.
I can't wait to get my scope aboard.

2013-08-07_zps4d0acbb6.jpg
 
Last edited:
Very nice. What was the load?
Oops.. didn't see it printed on the top of the target.
 
Last edited:
Not bad you say?Your first shots out of a new to you gun with iron sights and with dusk approaching.I would say not bad at all!!Good for you,looks like you have a keeper there.
 
You may not think that is impressive, but I'll say it is. A 2.2" three-shot group at 100 yards with a muzzle loader and open sights means that you got yourself a good load and muzzle loader.
 
Just noticed you are using smokeless in a muzzle loader. I know nothing about muzzle loaders, so I didn't realize you could do that without blowing things up. I use AA5744 a lot in reloading black powder cartridges such as the 45-70, 38-55 and 44-40. 40 grains is an enormous amount of powder, roughly double what I use in my 45-70. That 300 grain bullet must be going like the dickens. Have you chronographed that load? That must be a very strong barrel. If I used 40 grains of 5744 in my 45-70, I'd blow it to kingdom come.
 
Just noticed you are using smokeless in a muzzle loader. I know nothing about muzzle loaders, so I didn't realize you could do that without blowing things up. I use AA5744 a lot in reloading black powder cartridges such as the 45-70, 38-55 and 44-40. 40 grains is an enormous amount of powder, roughly double what I use in my 45-70. That 300 grain bullet must be going like the dickens. Have you chronographed that load? That must be a very strong barrel. If I used 40 grains of 5744 in my 45-70, I'd blow it to kingdom come.

You can only use smokeless powder in a muzzleloader that is specifically designed to use smokeless powder. To my knowledge the Savage is the only factory produced muzzleloader to do so. I have loaded for the 45-70 for almost twenty years. You can not compare the two. The muzzleloader is a 50 cal vs 45 cal for the 45-70. That alone would account for some of the difference in powder charge. Just as a 30-06 will accept a higher powder charge than a 270 shooting the same weight bullet. Of course there are other differences as well. There are pretty narrow choices as to what powders and charges are permissible. No I didn't chronograph the load, but I'm guessing it is about 2000 fps, as I didn't have much time. It's actually a mild load as Savage list 44gr. I will be chronographing loads once I get my scope aboard.
 
You can only use smokeless powder in a muzzleloader that is specifically designed to use smokeless powder. To my knowledge the Savage is the only factory produced muzzleloader to do so. I have loaded for the 45-70 for almost twenty years. You can not compare the two. The muzzleloader is a 50 cal vs 45 cal for the 45-70. That alone would account for some of the difference in powder charge. Just as a 30-06 will accept a higher powder charge than a 270 shooting the same weight bullet. Of course there are other differences as well. There are pretty narrow choices as to what powders and charges are permissible. No I didn't chronograph the load, but I'm guessing it is about 2000 fps, as I didn't have much time. It's actually a mild load as Savage list 44gr. I will be chronographing loads once I get my scope aboard.

I'm curious: with smokeless powder in this muzzle-loader, do you still pack the charge and projectile the same as for BP (no air space), or is there some sort of spacer?
 
No spacer. Dump the powder down the muzzle. Seat a saboted jacketed bullet on top of the powder. Insert a 209 shotshell primer. Aim, pull the trigger and bang. That's it.
 
Deertroy, I have one as well and get 3" groups at 200 yards with it. Take a look at PRbullet offerings. They really work well in that particular gun.
 
I've been shooting one for about 4 years now and it took some time to find the best sabot/powder/bullet combo but once found there is no looking back using smokeless. My particular gun shoots best with 300 grain .458 Hornadys, Harvester Black Crush Ribbed Sabots, Vihtouvorni N120 (55 gns). Reloader 7 also works well. You must keep an eye on the vent liner opening for erosion which can lead to opening of groups. Great gun, too bad they are stopping production.
 
No spacer. Dump the powder down the muzzle. Seat a saboted jacketed bullet on top of the powder. Insert a 209 shotshell primer. Aim, pull the trigger and bang. That's it.

And put away in safe until next season if you don't feel like cleaning it that day, week, month, .... :)

Great gun!

Regards,

Chizzy
 
Last edited:
I've been shooting one for about 4 years now and it took some time to find the best sabot/powder/bullet combo but once found there is no looking back using smokeless. My particular gun shoots best with 300 grain .458 Hornadys, Harvester Black Crush Ribbed Sabots, Vihtouvorni N120 (55 gns). Reloader 7 also works well. You must keep an eye on the vent liner opening for erosion which can lead to opening of groups. Great gun, too bad they are stopping production.

I am going to try that combo as I haven't yet....

I sent my Savage off to PR bullet to have their gunsmith do some "accurizing". Bunch of stuff that is supposed to make it more accurate like a target crown, bedding, etc. I haven't played with N120 yet either which is something I would like to try.

Thanks for the info.
 
It looks like my gun may like the Black Crush Sabots as well. I went shooting again yesterday to take advantage of the cooler weather. I got a few Harvester sabots in the mail and wanted to try them. The first thing I noticed is that the 250gr Hornady with the Red Crush Rib Sabots loaded extremely tight. So much so I didn't think I would be able to get them all the way down the barrel. The second thing I noticed is that even though I increased the powder charge, a full grain on all bullet weights from my last trip, velocity remained unchanged. By the time I shot my last group I was starting to get a little discouraged and I could barely feel a little warmth on my barrel. The next two shots were touching and the third opened the group up to 1.26". For my purposes this would be completely satisfactory. The next thing is to see if I can repeat it or was it simply a fluke. I moved my scope down a couple inched for the final group because the others were hunting high. I guess I should have left it alone!

2010 fps 2010 fps 1910 fps
2013-08-30_zpsc47169a1.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom