First time BP shooter, need advice

lupothebutcher

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Hi Guys,
I need some advice please, I have just purchased an antique Colt Model 1849 revolver (I’m sure that some of you will have seen this gun in this weekend’s auction); I have never fired a black powder before and, assuming my inspection raises no red flags, I do intend to shoot this thing. So far, besides the gun, I have ordered from a company called “Track of the Wolf” in the states (all items were listed under “Colt .31 cal pocket pistol):
• 320" round balls, pure lead, hand cast,
• Powder Flask, for Colt Pocket Model Revolver, copper, with embossed Eagle motif, accepts 8-.75mm threaded spouts (no mention of an included spout)
• Powder measure, brass, adjustable 0 to 50 grains, with spout (looks like a brass syringe)
• Nipple Wrench for Revolvers, for 1858 Remington .44 Revolver, Ruger Old Army, .31 & .36 Pocket & Police Model Colt Revolvers, and other revolvers with a tight nipple recess
• Ox-Yoke® Wonder Lube 1000 Plus, 4 ounce tube
• Spring steel nipple pick, with bone bead handle (I think it must be to clean out the nipple and/or the touch hole between the nipple and the chamber)
• Nipple, 5.5-.9mm metric thread, for .31/.36 Colt and Remington pocket revolvers, #11 CCI cap, hardened steel Cone length: 0.285" Thread journal length: 0.200" Overall length: 0.485" Diameter of base: 0.290" (bought 5)
So, assuming this stuff gets across the border, am I on the right track? Do I need anything else? (besides powder and percussion caps).
Looking at a couple videos, I see one fellow (editor for “Black Powder Magazine) using and arguing the use of FFFFg powder (12 grains) and I see another fellow who didn’t name his powder saying 15 grains. The above-mentioned aftermarket nipples call for a CCI #11 percussion cap. My questions would, of course, be:
• What powder should I be using?
• What amount of powder should I be using? (maximum and minimum?)
• What percussion caps should I be using?
• What store does anyone recommend is Canada?
Any advice is appreciated and feel free to try to sell me things that I might need.
Thanks much,
Lupo
 
12grains of FFFg, should be good. i wouldn't use FFFFg it is too fine for pistol and is usually for the pan on a flint lock. get Goex if you want to be period correct. I put crisco over the balls to stop chain fires and for lube. cornmeal makes good filler on top of the powder as you do not want loose bp behind the ball. if you are in the ottawa area let me know and we can go out shooting.

Dak.
 
12grains of FFFg, should be good. i wouldn't use FFFFg it is too fine for pistol and is usually for the pan on a flint lock. get Goex if you want to be period correct. I put crisco over the balls to stop chain fires and for lube. cornmeal makes good filler on top of the powder as you do not want loose bp behind the ball. if you are in the ottawa area let me know and we can go out shooting.

Dak.

No where near ottawa, but thanks for the offer. Track of the wolf also offers felt wadding, should I be using those? I did see someone using crisco but I was assuming that this is what the Ox-Yoke Wonder Lube was for....
 
you can use wadding if you want, for me it's just an extra expense for nothing. I use crisco over the top and it works for me. I have thought about making my own felt wadding with a lub mixture and trying it out as it would be a lot cleaner than smearing the crisco over the top.
 
The ox yoke wonder lube would be my choice for the over ball lube. Crisco etc will work as well but the wonder lube is easier to clean up. (and smells better to me!)
 
Back
Top Bottom