First time Flintlock Owner

NickVR

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Location
New Brunswick
Hello Everyone,

I am just starting to dabble in the BP area of firearms... was gifted a .69 Flintlock.

Can somebody point me in the right direction on where to buy lead balls from? I haven't looked into casting yet as want to try it out first before diving all in.

Thank you!
 
trackofthewolf, if you’re only shooting a handfull a year, Otherwise cast your own. Smooth bores are easy because lead hardness is a non issue when choosing lead to use.
 
I've been getting 58 cal balls from Rustywood trading in bc. I get flints & everything else from track of the wolf. My biggest hurdle was learning the right size of flint for my lock, & how to orient it in the jaws. I now get lots of shots per flint. I practiced all summer with my hawken style rifle& got a large moose with it two weeks ago.
 
Casting round balls is about as easy as it gets, if you have a source of lead. I was given several hundred lbs of nice soft lead by my Dad and a friend. Miss my flintlock, wish I never sold it.
 
If you can find a black powder group somewhere in your area they're well worth meeting with. BP's not hard to figure out, but they'll help you if you run into issues and give you all sorts of tricks and tips that will help make it all the more enjoyable. Plus BP shoots are some of the most fun shooting events I've attended!
 
A hearty DITTO to H Wally's post above.

Another good outfit to get stuff out of Canada is also Hillfolk Musket Supplies. The downside is that they don't have an online presence. But a search for them should turn up a phone number and mailing address.
 
I order black powder from Rusty Wood Trading Co.

For other stuff including round balls I use Track of the wolf or Dixie like stated, they are great companies. If you need flints you can check with them as well, or contact Loyalist Arms and Repairs. They sell French amber flints and English Black.

You could always buy a mold, it's easy to do like stated above. If you need round balls in Canada, Check on All things Military, they are in Calgary, have an online store. You can get round balls on there for .62, .69 and .75 smooth bores. He sells flints as well, a bit pricey though but it would be faster shipping/no import fees etc.

Hope this helps. Welcome to Black powder guns, they are addictive. I'd rather shoot a flintlock all day than anything else to be honest. If you enjoy tinkering with your hands, they are the number 1 option out there.
 
Things military molds suck. I own one, and it casts an oval ball. Total junk and he has an all sales final return policy. Buy from track of the wolf, they’re excellent.
 
Things military molds suck. I own one, and it casts an oval ball. Total junk and he has an all sales final return policy. Buy from track of the wolf, they’re excellent.

Didn't even know he sold molds, good too know that they are junk, thanks. I was just saying you can buy round balls from him in a pinch if need be.
 
Hello Everyone,

I am just starting to dabble in the BP area of firearms... was gifted a .69 Flintlock.

Can somebody point me in the right direction on where to buy lead balls from? I haven't looked into casting yet as want to try it out first before diving all in.

Thank you!

i've bought bp at gobles in london, as for round balls send me a pm and i can check what sizes i have.
 
I'm thinking more and more of getting matchlock and flintlock rifles to enjoy the sport of shooting without the hassle of ever more draconian and insane regulations that surround modern firearms here, especially in Quebecistan. Let those who have more money than me deal with bureaucracy, obsessive police and court battles; i'll just be enjoying the smoke.
These look especially nice:
http://www.militaryheritage.com/musket22.htm
http://www.militaryheritage.com/musket15.htm
Do you need at PAL at all to own, shoot, reload, display, transport or hunt with match/flintlocks? Because if not, i won't even bother looking at guns made after the invention of radio if it means i'm free from that stress!
 
I'm thinking more and more of getting matchlock and flintlock rifles to enjoy the sport of shooting without the hassle of ever more draconian and insane regulations that surround modern firearms here, especially in Quebecistan. Let those who have more money than me deal with bureaucracy, obsessive police and court battles; i'll just be enjoying the smoke.
These look especially nice:
http://www.militaryheritage.com/musket22.htm
http://www.militaryheritage.com/musket15.htm
Do you need at PAL at all to own, shoot, reload, display, transport or hunt with match/flintlocks? Because if not, i won't even bother looking at guns made after the invention of radio if it means i'm free from that stress!

no license need for any match lock,flintlock or wheellock or to buy powder but with all 3 you need real BP
 
I believe the average Joe can't manufacture BP. And even if you could, until you really know what you're doing it could be frustrating. To say the least.
 
Back
Top Bottom