Flint on vancouver island

We don't have flint on the island and there is extremely little flint in North America. What we do have is a related rock called chert (which is what most "flint" arrow heads were made of along with obsidian)
The problem with chert is finding some that is free of fracture line and from which spalls can be broken off. There is chert on the island but I don't what its quality is relative to gun flints.

cheers mooncoon
 
I have diamond trim saw and will be experimenting with some of the local materials later in the summer. When the material is free, I will not be worried if I don't get 100 shots out of a cut flint. I think some of the native Jasper's may work pretty well.
 
as mooncoon said no real flint in north aemrica just chert and obsidian finding good chert is hard and obsidian is a velcanic glass so that will not work

best stuff in NA comes from texas

what id do is stock up on gun flints plain and simple its not easy to knap your own you have to use the blade core method
 
At less than $2 I find flints to be much more economical than caps. Usually just get a dozen anytime I place an order with TOW or similar places. Thats generally a years supply or so.
 
Have you tried two paws trading here in Nanaimo ? He's usually at the Island gun shows, there's one here in Nanaimo on Feb 17th, or call him at home, I have his # if you need it. You could also try Marilyn Crandall in Moscow Idaho, ( I have her email addy if you need it)
There is Dr in the States that knaps his own flints, sells them for less than the English ones, white in colour , spark way better also. Can't remember his name,maybe mooncoon can remeber ? he post on some of the US forums.

Cheers nessy
 
I have some Rich Pierce flints from Missouri. Very sparky but not durable like the English flints. Great for dry firing.
 
I have some Rich Pierce flints from Missouri. Very sparky but not durable like the English flints. Great for dry firing.

Thanks Waterloo Mike, I've had great success with his flints,agree they're as durable but well worth the bang for the buck. He'll only sell a dozen or so at at a time, he only does it for a hobby.
Cheers nessy.
 
Thanks Waterloo Mike, I've had great success with his flints,agree they're as durable but well worth the bang for the buck. He'll only sell a dozen or so at at a time, he only does it for a hobby.
Cheers nessy.

That's right, but put in your order and you will get them in a timely fashion. I've used them in the house to eliminate flinch. It has made a ton of difference and has had the same effect with my other guns. Especially large bore pistols.

I still have all 12 and could knap the two I've used.
 
Back
Top Bottom