Flint (or Chert) Shards in Canada

Hi everyone, I am looking for a Canadian source of flint (or chert) shards that I can use with a fire steel to make primitive fires. All the sources I have are in the States. Any help finding a domestic selling in Canada would be appreciated.

maple leaf, I just sent you a private message. Looking to talk to you on the phone.
 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunflint_chert

Lol, it's literally called the Gunflint Formation... I believe it can be found near Manitoulin Island, but checking out the OGS map websites would help lock down locations.

The Gunflint Formation is mostly in Minnesota, it might reach into Ontario out Thunder Bay way. The chert found on Manitoulin is Fossil Hill Formation.
 
Kettle point (north of Sarnia) is famous for it's chert (flint). It made a lot of the dark gray arrow heads and scraping tools used by the indiginous peoples of this area.
Also, a lot of the pebbles found along Lake Erie are chert/flint....just have to recognize what it looks like before it is knapped.
 
Back
Top Bottom