Flint Pistols...... "Replicas"

I don't see them in the All Other Stuff Exchange, are these real shooters or wall hangers. They certainly look shootable and if they are list them on the Antique Black Powder EE.
 
As ridiculous as it is, I believe those are restricted firearms (if they are modern replicas) and therefore require an RPAL to possess. And since they require an RPAL, storage laws also apply... so no "wall hanging" for these babies, unless they're deactivated first. The only way that wouldn't apply is if they are made prior to 1898... I've always wondered why we can't own modern flint pistols without a license.

The flint pistol: favorite "weapon" of the 16th century gangbanger! (but he better carry more than one!)

:D
 
If those are from Loyalist Arms and have no flash hole, they are not functional guns and do not need to be registered. Securing them to the way (not just hanging) would meet the laws as I understand them or if you wanted to be a bit more secure, remove the mainsprings from the locks as well and store the springs somewhere separate. Also while it is not legal (I think) to own a replica of a modern handgun, it is legal to own a replica (as in non firing reproduction) of an antique gun. If the guns have been made to fire already, then they become registerable guns and fall under the storage requirements of modern guns. I think they can still be displayed but need to be secured to a higher level than for non firing replicas.

cheers mooncoon
 
Exact replicas of modern firearms are prohibited, replicas of antique firearms are not regulated but become for all intents and purposes a firearm if used in a crime.
To jpc are you sure those guns are non-functional because if they are I would like a shot at buying them..damn they look good.:D
 
Replica vs reproduction.
A "replica" is a device manufactured as non-functional that resembles a firearm.
A replica of a modern firearm is a prohibited device.
A replica of an antique firearm is perfectly legal.
A reproduction of an antique firearm is a functional firearm. All reproduction handguns are restricted or prohibted. Reproduction longarms may be non-restricted or deemed antique depending on the ignition system.
I don't know if jpc's pistols are replicas or reproductions. It shouldn't take much of an examination to determine what they are.
They are not accurate reproductions or replicas of any original firearm.
 
Replica vs reproduction.
A "replica" is a device manufactured as non-functional that resembles a firearm.
A replica of a modern firearm is a prohibited device.
A replica of an antique firearm is perfectly legal.
A reproduction of an antique firearm is a functional firearm. All reproduction handguns are restricted or prohibted. Reproduction longarms may be non-restricted or deemed antique depending on the ignition system.
I don't know if jpc's pistols are replicas or reproductions. It shouldn't take much of an examination to determine what they are.
They are not accurate reproductions or replicas of any original firearm.


Hello tiriaq:
The are definitely "replicas of an antique firearm" and not a reproduction. Although they look and feel good they cannot fire.

take care and thank you for the definitions.

jpc
ps: I agree with you when you say "They are not accurate reproductions or replicas of any original firearm."
 
I seem to remember when the add was posted you said there were touch holes but they have been welded over ?

if that were the case it may be possible that they are actually functional.

mclean
 
Personally, I would keep them locked in the gun safe. can you imagine what would happen if they were stolen and someone went on a rampage with them? The consequences would be terrible. With a bit of practice, a person could fire 2, maybe 3, shots a minute. They should restrict the amount of powder and ball a person is allowed to carry. Why would a flintlock owner be allowed as much ammo as he wants when S/A owners are limited to 10-shot mags? (Sorry about the rant, but I just had to get this off my chest.)
 
Back
Top Bottom