Flinter ID**help needed

jpc

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
692   0   0
Hi:

Would this be original or made from parts for the tourist market?

Thanks for your help and input

jpc

"Total length = 63"

Barrel length = 48"

7 sided barrel configuration with 7 internal barrel ribs

Original steel ram rod

Brass barrel bands (5) - Brass barrel bands are inscribed

Dark patina wood stock is inscribed and uniquely designed"
As described to me.

flinter1.jpg

flinter2.jpg

flinter3.jpg

flinter4.jpg
 
nice iron .....afgan style stock and an english lock...I havent a clue what country its made in ??? arab afgan indian turk? cool gun though whats the bore like?
 
I had a chance to buy one a few years ago in mint condition I kick my a$$ for not buying it back then when I had the cash to throw around, he only wanted 800$ it was a beautieful piece of work.
 
its very comon on firarms in the middle east .....you find them on afgan, turk, arab, indian, moorish north african, firearms sometimes called an afgan stock or camel stock very unique, and you'll find the barrels held on with brass steel or silver bands, lots of them.
 
I dont think theres anymore reason to the style of the stock then a stock on an early germanic wheellock or some early flintlocks with the paddle butt...looks I think.
 
you'll find that alot on eastern firearms ....they reaused alot of european gun parts ....like triggers, guards, locks, ect.
 
With the Brown Bess lock, chances are it's from India as the English had quite a presence there since the early 1800's. I think the lock is worth more than the rest of it personally. Maybe Afghan?
 
the gun is called a jezail and is from Afghanistan. The lock is salvaged from a bess.
Only photo I have ever seen of them in use, the Afghans were hiding behind a wall and one had a jezail laying on the wall and shooting across it

cheers mooncoon
 
the gun is called a jezail and is from Afghanistan. The lock is salvaged from a bess.
Only photo I have ever seen of them in use, the Afghans were hiding behind a wall and one had a jezail laying on the wall and shooting across it

cheers mooncoon

Hi mooncoon:

Any idea of the year?

Take care
jpc
 
Supposedly the stock was designed that way as most users of the gun rode camels and when on a camel the rider tends to lurch back and forth with the camels gait so the butt was hooked up underneath the shooters armpit for a more secure hold while firing.
 
I agree with mooncoon the proper name for the gun is jezail, theres one in a picture that was siezed by the russians when they were fighting in afghanistan in the 1980s its in the 2nd addition of the complete book of the AK 47 printed this year.
 
Any idea of the year?

I can't remember where I saw the photo but my suspicion is that they were probably in use up until the 1950s or so. Since the dating somewhat falls in the field of what guns are in use now or in recent past in Afghanistan, I was talking to a fellow who had recently returned from there and had been stationed in a small town. He said while the Taliban are allowed one AK47 each, the local people (ie non Taliban) mostly had single barrel shotguns for killing live stock and I think were banned from having the AKs. In that light it does not seem unreasonable that jezails may have been used up until fairly recently.

cheers mooncoon
 
I can't remember where I saw the photo but my suspicion is that they were probably in use up until the 1950s or so. Since the dating somewhat falls in the field of what guns are in use now or in recent past in Afghanistan, I was talking to a fellow who had recently returned from there and had been stationed in a small town. He said while the Taliban are allowed one AK47 each, the local people (ie non Taliban) mostly had single barrel shotguns for killing live stock and I think were banned from having the AKs. In that light it does not seem unreasonable that jezails may have been used up until fairly recently.

cheers mooncoon

Interesting

Thanks
jpc
 
In my opinion if the lock is in good fully functioning -origional- shape with no afghani marks , all the screws -side mounting ones included are good..... it alone could be sold for up to 800$$ easily "grudgingly perhaps but sold at that price nonetheless;)"

I have secretly thought about building one of these someday..."with repro parts"

a bess barrel and lock, a real fancy piece of wood and some wide brass and silver sheet bands and furniture...It would be a fun shooter and generally something different/interesting/flashy to pull out sometimes.

They were/are beautiful arms

Your example is really a nice old musket!
 
Back
Top Bottom