Flintlock Photo's? Let's see em!

tiriaq please stop teasing me with that lock!!!!!!!!! Either that or build a little smoothbore gun with it and sell it to me attached to a stock.
 
IMG_5523.jpg


And the rest of the story

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781644
 
Grant; what was the reasoning for the evolution into caplocks back in the day, reliability or safety? (burnt eyebrows with the flintlock)

I've never burnt my eyebrows (.... or any other facial feature .... :p ) shooting a flintlock. Keep in mind that, with the shutter held open, the camera captured all of the light generated by the pan flash, cumulatively, and a flintlock pan keeps it directed away from the face. It pretty much goes straight up ..... and also out to the side, as anyone standing near a flintlock shooter on the "pan side" can attest!

It is my understanding that reliability was the primary reason for the switchover ..... and of course the development of the percussion cap ultimately led to the development of the self-contained metallic cartridge (in which it became the primer component.)

Since a few photos of folks in costume holding flintlocks have been posted, I might as well add these ....

Myself, in the uniform of a Sergeant of a Revolutionary War Loyalist Regiment, the 84th Regiment of Foot (Royal Highland Emigrants), with Brown Bess and Government-issue Highland-style all-metal pistol:

ghrrhegood1small.jpg


Another shot, in "mountain man" garb ..... you'll have to take my word for my Tennessee Mountain Rifle being in the case!

capote_sm.jpg
 
Only time I've been hit with burning powder was when I was supervising a new shooter and was standing beside the pan. I was very suprised having never had any come back at me while shooting. I'll get a pic up here later tonight.
 
Grant; cool pics. being of Hebridean descendants I'm most interested in the pistol and claymore...where in the name of all that is holy did you find that:eek: This sort of kit was largely confiscated after the '45...(1745 :)) Repro's? if so, who?

Plinker:

The pistol (of which I had a pair, actually) and the broadsword were both reproductions, and were both of the British Board of Ordnance patterns built on contract for them (in England, of all places) for issue to Highland Regiments. (Matter of fact, there was one very notable exemption from the provisions of the Disarming Act you have alluded to - "traditional" highland weapons and attire could only be used by Highland troops in the service of the British Crown ..... which was a primary reason why so many Highlanders enlisted in such units to serve the Sassenach tyrants!)

The pistols were a relatively simplistic design (compared to the rather more ornate traditional Highland pistols) and were of a pattern produced by John Waters of Birmingham. Here is a link to a few photos of an original, currently offered for sale by Paul Ambrose Antique Arms & Armour in Connecticut ..... for a mere $6275! :sok2
http://www.ambroseantiques.com/fpistols/waters.htm
(Contrary to the description there, these pistols were actually supplied by the Board of Ordnance for issue to all Other Ranks in Highland Regiments ..... officers were required to supply all of their own arms and other kit at personal expense .... and undoubtedly would have had finer quality pistols.)

The reproduction pistol is sold by Dixie Gun Works (and possibly others) as the "Black Watch pistol" -
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=7028

The basket-hilted sword I made for myself, in the style of this pattern (images of an original hilt) also produced for the Board of Ordnance in Birmingham - with a basket formed of pierced sheet-steel (painted black in service) -

basket3.jpg


This is a similar view of my hilt -

mineboth.jpg


I now concentrate on firearms and uniforms of the latter Victorian era .... but still have a Highland impression, although now it is as a Major in the 5th Battalion of Militia Infantry, Royal Scots of Canada - :rolleyes: -

composite_3.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom